Loadable modules: wrong version or undefined?

Loadable modules: wrong version or undefined?

Post by Mike Van W » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I've been having problems lately trying to get a particular loadable
module to work.  I'm running Red Hat 3.0.3 and kernel version 2.0.20
with Elf.  The module was compiled under 2.0.20 and Elf.  The kernel
option for "set version info" is turned on.  Nevertheless, when I run
insmod, I get this:

Quote:> alloc_skb: wrong version or undefined
> register_netdev: wrong version or undefined
> [about 10 more of these, then finally...]
> your linux-2.0.20

What's going on?  The symbols all show up correctly in System.map and
also when I run ksyms -a.  Other modules are loading correctly.  I thought
I might have old versions of insmod, etc, but after searching the net it
seems my version (2.0.0) is the latest.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Does anyone have a fix?

Loadable modules: wrong version or undefined?

Post by Timothy Wats » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> also when I run ksyms -a.  Other modules are loading correctly.  I thought
> I might have old versions of insmod, etc, but after searching the net it
> seems my version (2.0.0) is the latest.

> Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Does anyone have a fix?

Yes, you MUST do a make depend, then the make compressed (ro whatever kernel),
then the make modules. Each time make depend runs it generates unique symbols
that have to match up in the kernel and the modules in networking (but
strangely enough, doesnt mess up symbols for filesystems and such).

Post by David Sye » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > also when I run ksyms -a.  Other modules are loading correctly.  I thought
> > I might have old versions of insmod, etc, but after searching the net it
> > seems my version (2.0.0) is the latest.

> > Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Does anyone have a fix?

> Yes, you MUST do a make depend, then the make compressed (ro whatever kernel),
> then the make modules. Each time make depend runs it generates unique symbols
> that have to match up in the kernel and the modules in networking (but
> strangely enough, doesnt mess up symbols for filesystems and such).

Does that mean that you have to reboot with a new kernel to get the
modules to insert properly!?  I don't remember ever having to do that.
This business is a bit of a black art to me still, so if anyone can
explain, help would be appreciated.  I do remember that whether or not I
do `make dep' seemed to make a difference , and if I did `make clean'
all hell broke loose unless I re-made all the modules, but I never had
to change my kernel to get it to work.   Or do these unique symbols come
from the current kernel, in which case why do you have to do `make
compressed (or whatever kernel)'?

Dave.

1. Error loading module: wrong version or undefined

So I took the plunge and finally build a custom kernel with 'make
xconfig'.  It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, except....

I did the following as per the instructions in the book that came w/RH
4.0:

* make mrproper
* make xconfig
* make dep
* make clean
* make zImage
* make modules
* make modules_install

mv'd the old vmlinuz to vmlinuz.old and copied the new zImage to
/boot/vmlinuz

While rebooting I noticed trouble with the ne2000 driver as insmod was
being run on it.  Got the following errors:

insmod: [several_function_names] : wrong version or undefined
linux 2.0.18

Seems odd since the modules were built right after the zImage and I was
not changing from 2.0.somethingelse to 2.0.18, the souces were the same
both times (2.0.18).

I also tried (based on some suggestions I saw in a post here) to reboot
with the new kernel and then run make modules and make modules_install but
still had the same problem.  Also tried 'depmod -a 2.0.18' and then insmod
ne.o, but no help.

Any ideas?

TIA

Phil
--

2. BJ 200

3. What causes "undefined" when installing loadable modules?

4. PLEASE answer

5. How to compile a loadable module for an older kernel version!???

6. uClinux ported to MCF5282

7. Module Programming: module version vs. kernel version

8. emailing binary files from the command line

9. can't probe ppp module in kernel 2.2.2.5-15 using loadable module

10. Slackware kernel wrong version for modules - what now?

11. Wrong Module Version

12. PCMCIA modules: wrong version