installing OpenLinux from CDROM on Microchannel machine

installing OpenLinux from CDROM on Microchannel machine

Post by Bruce Greenblat » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've just purchased Caldera OpenLinux Base 1.1.  The boot diskette that
came with it does not work on my IBM PS/2 model 76, but I downloaded a
boot diskette from the Linux Microchannel web site that works correctly
and finds all of my scsi devices including the cdrom.  It finishes by
asking me: "VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into ramdisk and
press ENTER".  What do I need to do to make it look at the cdrom drive,
which is device sr0.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt

http://www.innetix.com/~bruceg

1. Easiest way to install Linux on MicroChannel machine?

I have a PS/2 70-A21 upgraded to a 486/25.  I'd like to install
Linux on this machine, and I understand the latest kernel has
MicroChannel support.  However, is there a distribution that
includes this recent level of the Linux kernel?

Hardware:

1. XGA-2 video adapter.  I can pull it out and use the onboard
VGA if necessary
2. 16MB RAM, 120MB internal ESDI hard drive
3. SCSI adapter, with external 1GB Jaz drive available

I can jerry-rig a SCSI CD-ROM drive to the computer if I have
to, to install off a CD.  I would much rather not download
gobs of files and compile kernels and whatnot - after all,
if I could boot Linux far enough to compile the kernel, I
wouldn't need to compile the kernel any more, right?

--

Crystal Semiconductor, a division of Cirrus Logic

Want the best OS/2 soundcard? http://www.io.com/~timur/crystalos2.html

2. Qwest Packs a Punch

3. Can you install Linux on a Microchannel (MCA) machine?

4. Sleep fixes

5. Onboard Sound chip & MIDI

6. Q: Installing OpenLinux 1.2 (lite) on laptop with no CDROM drive

7. Help needed monitoring logical drives (AMI Megaraid)

8. Microchannel machines

9. Linux does work on microchannel machines!

10. Linux on MicroChannel/PCI machine...

11. Have win2000 installed machine how do I install linux on same machine

12. Microchannel Machine