Slackware boot disk won't boot.

Post by j.. » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Linux on my machine when it hangs right on the
bootdisk.  I don't even get to the point where I get to insert the
rootdisk and try to install the disksets.

This is from the bare.i bootdisk from the 1.44 directory.

Welcome to the Slackware 96 (v. 3.1.0) bootkernal disk!
[...]
boot: [hit return]
Uncompressing Linux....done.
[...]
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 49152K size
Unable to handle kernal NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c0000000
current->tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 = 00101000
*pde = 00102067
*pte = 00000027
Oops: 0002
CPU:    0
[Register dump follows]
Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
[Hangs at this point.]

The NULL pointer message seems to be the most interesting part.  Don't
know what it means though.

My best guess here is that is has something with the hardware setup:

AMD 486-66
AMI BIOS dated 080893
8MB Ram
S3 video card
MultiIO/IDE card.
Maxtor 7245AT containing a 50MB DOS 6.0 partition.

Any ideas?

-Jeff Chan                      | These are my opinions.  It would be

1. Slackware Boot disk won't boot

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bother you all here, but I do not know where else to find
help.

I downloaded the Slackware bare.i Boot disk, make the disk with rawrite
(writeing 28 cylinders), then wanted to boot.
But after a short reading of the disk, nothing else happen, just the
cursor blinking in the upper left corner. I do not know what's going
wrong.

My computer is a Compaq Contura 410 Laptop, 20 MB, 540mb Quantum, and
even Win95 running quiet stable ;) !

Did anybody hava had the same problems, or even solved it.

Thanks in advance.
Christian

2. c/c++: ERROR: Undefined symbol: .std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>

3. slackware boot disk won't boot

4. Linux with ancient WD1007A-WAH HDD controller in new pc.

5. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

6. ext2: lost parent directory

7. Can't boot 5" slackware boot disk on Compaq 386/20

8. Problem with ProFTPd

9. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

10. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

11. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)

12. newbie: Slackware 3.4 Boot disk won't

13. Installation Problems (Boot Disk Won't Boot!)