Problem with x apps not able to find shared libs.

Problem with x apps not able to find shared libs.

Post by Julie Berr » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Often times if I get an X binary and try to run it I
get a error that the a libXblah.so.6 or whatever can
not be found. When search for the directory I will
usually find it as a link to a another lib.
libXt.so.6 -> libXt.so.6.0 for example.

I look in the ld.so.cache and can see that the library exists there
and that if I run ldconfig -v to show the libraries that are
configured it show a reference the lib in question there as while.
If I'm lucky and have the source and compile a new binary it works
fine.  However you don't always have luxury of having the binary.

For intance I would like to run Xing's StreamWorks but when
I execute it I get can't find libXt.so.6 .

I figure I have something missing in my configuration.  If poeple could
give me some pointers I would appreciated it.

Kernel 1.3.49
ld.so utils 1.7.10
XFree86 3.1.2A

Kent Berry
Auburn, WA

Post by Jason Mcmull » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

  You have the ELF shared libs, but not the a.out shared libs.
Simply get the last release of the XFree86, and place the
shared libs in /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/.

  Evidently you didn't install the "a.out compatability" libs
that came with your distribution... Either that, or you
removed them.

--
Copyright 1995 Jason McMullan;  all rights reserved;  license for the
Microsoft Network to distribute this text for US $100,000 per copy is

1. help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

arg, after a few weeks with linux, i thought i got most of it down.  but
i'm having problems again.

i tried to build gnapster (knapster doesn't work with kde2 apparently)
and it tries to link to libgdk_imlib, but says it doesn't exist.  i
installed glib and gtk+ and it installed everything >but< libgdk_imlib.
where can i find the source to build this library?

also, i installed kde2 in /usr/local/kde2.  i ended up installing the
gnapster binary from an rpm, and when i ran it, it looked for
libaudiofile.so (which is in /usr/local/kde2/lib) in /usr/lib.  how do i
configure my system to make programs look for libaries in the correct
place?

thanks for the help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. internet

3. lib*.so.3 not found - X app don't run

4. AMM-1570 SCSI

5. symbol in shared libs not found

6. iMac: modem port, argument in kppp, Netscape configuration

7. shared libs not found after XFree86 3.2 install

8. alad325 hang after install OS 5.0.4

9. shared X libs not found when compiling

10. static lib works fine, but why not the shared lib version

11. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

12. Problem with Info not being able to find top nodes?

13. Shared libs not shared !?