Hardware clock.

Post by Adam Ranvill » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

    Hello,
    I've never had this problem installing before on any pentium
systems. Seemingly I am not able to set my system time by the hardware
time. In rc.sysinit it try's to run but will hang and requires a ctrl-c
to bypass it. I've added the commands --debug to the actual run command
and it will just sit there on "Waiting for Clock tick". I've also tried
to insert the command "--directisa" and this too gives me nothing.

    I believe that the motherboard is in good shape as the server was
used just a few days ago. It ran bsd.

    Do I need a newer version of hwclock? Is there something in the bios
I should not set/should set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware clock.

Post by Adam Ranvill » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Never mind, I'm banging my head on the keyboard right now. The motherboard
was faulty. The clock was bad and would not tick. Tried replacing the
battery and switching to an external battery, still nothing. Hence if the
clock was not ticking then there would be no tick for Linux to sync on.

Duho,

>     Hello,
>     I've never had this problem installing before on any pentium
> systems. Seemingly I am not able to set my system time by the hardware
> time. In rc.sysinit it try's to run but will hang and requires a ctrl-c
> to bypass it. I've added the commands --debug to the actual run command
> and it will just sit there on "Waiting for Clock tick". I've also tried
> to insert the command "--directisa" and this too gives me nothing.

>     I believe that the motherboard is in good shape as the server was
> used just a few days ago. It ran bsd.

>     Do I need a newer version of hwclock? Is there something in the bios
> I should not set/should set?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock?

by the way, in man hwclock it says

       To see if it is on or off, use the command adjtimex --print and
       look at the value of "status".  If the "64" bit of this number
       (expressed in binary) equal to 0, 11 minute mode is on.
       Otherwise, it is off.

and I do
$ /sbin/adjtimex -p
[...]     status: 64
which makes me wonder what the English of the man page is trying to
say.  Does "status:64" mean the 11 minute thing is on or off?

by the way, the The Clock Mini-HOWTO looked promising, but
seemed not to tell us dummies exactly what to do simplewise.

I installed the ntp rpm from the 2nd mandrake 7.2 CD
and notices that it doesn't put its man pages on the system, but one can dig
them
out of its 'doc' directory... as seen in rpm -ql ntp
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

2. Is the Duration for switch user recorded somewhere

3. udb, hardware clock and 'clock -w'

4. Problem with the modem

5. hwclock (system clock to hardware clock)???

6. how to launch/register/kill process on a remote machin

7. Red Hat 6.0 System Clock vs. Hardware Clock

8. test

9. System clock MUCH slower than hardware clock

10. Hardware clock OK, system clock losing 15 mins daily

11. HELP:stime() system call advances hardware clock by four hours?

12. setting hardware clock

13. Linux changing hardware clock