Upgrade 4.2 to 5.1 or 5.2

Post by Corey Johnso » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ok.. I had hell setting up 4.2 on my Thinkpad 360Cs... but I got it...
Then I borrowed a friends RH5.1.. could not get it to install.. I tried
to upgrade.. then I tried to complete install, then I formatted and
tried to start fresh with 5.1 nothing.. but thats ok.. I got 4.2 back on

there.. now. How would I go about manually upgrading?
Would/should I just  upgrade one rpm at a time?.. Time is really not a
matter... If I can do it one RPM at a time that is fine...
Is there a certain RPM I should start at? say glint, or XF86???
Just trying to get some info as to not waste time.. if it take a week to

install that is ok.. just don't want to spend time doing something that
won't work..

1. NFS mount from AIX 4.2 to SunOS 5.1 fails after upgrade

Greetings,
        One of my customers just upgraded an RS/6000 43P from
AIX 4.1 to 4.2.1.  Before the upgrade he was able to NFS mount
a filesystem on a Sparc 1+ (yeah, an oldy) running SunOS 5.1.  As
near has he can tell (he did a preservation upgrade on the AIX)
he has not changed any TCP/IP configuration on either side.

Here is what he receives on the AIX side:

mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
mrd2100-gw:/soma
vmount: There is an input or output error.
NFS getattr failed for server mrd2100-gw: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
error)

While on the Sun side he receives on the console:

NFS request from unprivileged port.
nfs_server: weak authentication

The /etc/filesystems entry on the AIX side is:

/mrd2100-gw/soma:
        dev             = "/soma"
        vfs             = nfs
        nodename        = mrd2100-gw
        mount           = false
        options         = fg,hard,intr
        account         = false

while on the Sun side it's filesystem is being shared with a
/etc/dfs/dfstab entry of:

share -F nfs -orw=omronaix,root=omronaix /soma

He has tried changing parameters like hard/soft, intr/nointr, secure
vers=, proto=, but none of these has changed the symptom.

I went looking through IBMLink but didn't find any PTF about this
specifically.  We are going to pull down U450645 and see if that
helps, because it is pointed to by about a dozen APARs, but that is
just a blind guess.  We also found out that bos.net.tcp.client is
at 4.2.1.2, but bos.net.nfs.client is at 4.2.1.1, and it probably
should be at 4.2.1.2 also.

I also am going to try Sun patch 100884-27, the SunOS 5.1 NFS jumbo
patch, although I am not sure this will really help.  It hasn't been
updated since 1994.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John Schneider

* Lowery Systems, Inc.  ***********************************************
* 275 Axminister        * Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine*
* Fenton, MO 63026      * and mine alone.  My company is off the hook.*

2. what do linux fokes vote?

3. Upgrading from Redhat 4.2 to 5.1 remotely - suggestions??

4. Probleme with LILO after addinf a new hard disk ...

5. Upgrading from RH 4.2 to 5.2: fvwm2-95 is gone

6. linking-Problem

7. Floppyless Upgrade from 4.2 to 5.1

8. SCSI Adaptec 2940UW w/ multiple LUN's

9. How do I upgrade Redhat 4.2 -> 5.1 via Ftp

10. Upgrade...4.2 to 5.1(2)

11. NFS mount from AIX 4.2 to SunOS 5.1 fails after upgrade

12. RedHat 5.1 upgrade blew out 4.2 and MBR

13. A newbie would like to upgrade to Red 5.2 from 4.2: any suggestions