selectin colour depth with xdm login

Post by mkmacv.. » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I need to run  SuSE Linux 6.1  with a graphical login interface (xdm or
kdm) so that it can support X-terminals  but also need to be able to
choose the colour depth for various applications. If I was using an
ASCII interface I could type startx -- -16bpp for example, but is it
possible to get the same functionality with xdm or kdm?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

selectin colour depth with xdm login

Post by Christopher W. Aike » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Look at your /etc/XF86Config file.  I believe that there is
a "colordepth" (or something like that) that you can change.

...hope this points you in the right direction
...cwa

> I need to run  SuSE Linux 6.1  with a graphical login interface (xdm or
> kdm) so that it can support X-terminals  but also need to be able to
> choose the colour depth for various applications. If I was using an
> ASCII interface I could type startx -- -16bpp for example, but is it
> possible to get the same functionality with xdm or kdm?

The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

Post by mkmacv.. » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I need to run  SuSE Linux 6.1  with a graphical login interface (xdm
or
> kdm) so that it can support X-terminals  but also need to be able to
> choose the colour depth for various applications. If I was using an
> ASCII interface I could type startx -- -16bpp for example, but is it
> possible to get the same functionality with xdm or kdm?

I've now taken some advice and in /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers I now have
the following two lines:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt07 -bpp 8
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt08 -bpp 16

with appropriate entries in my XF86Config file for 8 and 16 bit colour
modes. This was supposed to allow me to start two Xservers and switch
between them using CNTRL-ALT-F7 and CNTRL-ALT-F8. What actually happens,
however, is that bootup proceeds normally until just after the ASCII
login prompt (text console) has flashed by, then I get a blank grey
screen which is never replaced by the xdm login panel. The only  useful
thing you can then do is CNTRL-ALT-F1 to get me back to the ASCII (text
console) login prompt, login and shutdown. If you type startx you get an
error message back to the effect that there is already an Xserver
running. It has been suggested that this behaviour reflects a limitation
in the graphics card but I've tried it on two machines, one with a
Diamond Permedia FIRE GL1000 PRO card and one with a Diamond Viper V770
(NVIDIA RIVA TNT2) card. These cards don't have much in common apart
from the manufacturer, but the behaviour was identical on both. Any
ideas what the REAL problem is would be most welcome.

                               Malcolm MacVean

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Color Depth Mode on XDM login?

Hi,

I haven't seen this addressed, so let me ask the question....

I have a Pentium2-333Mhz running KDE when I log in, but I'm having it
come up with XDM for logins in between sessions.  I notice that when I
log in, XDM will start-up KDE, but I notice everything is in 8bpp color
mode.  My ATI Xpert 98 will do 8,16 and 32bpp color.  What do I do to
get the X-system started up with XDM and go to KDE, while specifying
that I want everything in 16bpp depth color?  (I'm running RedHat 5.2).

Thanks in advance,
--Persona

2. TrueReality (N64 emulator)

3. Switching colour depth when using xdm

4. CL vs. Number 9

5. XDM Color Depth Configuration

6. ftp server

7. RH5.2, xdm, setting color depth

8. Help with Dial Up Accounts (thanks) <<@>>

9. Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

10. xdm, kdm colour depth Banshee??

11. Using different XDM/X colour depths

12. Default color depth when using xdm

13. problem: xdm and color depth