Help with installing RedHat 5.1 (Formatting Partitions)

Help with installing RedHat 5.1 (Formatting Partitions)

Post by Pe » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

First and foremost, I am a Linux newbie.

I encountered a problem while installing RH 5.1. I hope someone can
help me here.

This is my first attempt at installing (and using) RedHat Linux 5.1.

I had followed the instructions given in the RH Installation manual,
while installing the os. However, the output of two steps are
different from the ones illustrated in the manual. The problems are:

1. I had used Disk Druid to create my partitions (these partitions are
created as recommended in the manual):

/ - 76mb (hda1)
/usr - 700mb (hda5)
/home - 124mb (hda6)
swap - 120mb (hda7)
/usr/local - 100mb (hda8)
/usr/src - 100mb (hda9)

After following the steps until after I have chosen "Everything" when
asked to select packages for installing, the system skipped the
formatting of the partitions (I had chosen all partitions to be
formatted). The manual clearly states that the partitions should be
formatted at this stage, but it did not. Instead, it proceeds to the
stage with "Running" as the name of the window. In the window, ext#s
are being created in the various hda#s (Don't tell me this is actually
the formatting?). After this, the installation of all the packages
began.

Did I miss out any steps which result in the non formatting of the
partitions? (I followed the installation manual strictly)

2. At the last stage of my installation (LILO Installation), after the
part where I was asked if I needed to pass any boot options to the
kernel, the installation just ended (with a message telling me that
the installation was successful). I was not given the opportunity to
select a boot partition as illustrated in the installation guide.
Anyone has any idea why this is so?

After rebooting, I was only able to boot using the boot disk which was
created during the installation process. Without the boot disk I will
get error messages telling me that there is no active partition. I
deduced that this is the result of the skipped final step of my
installation as mentioned above.

With this deduction in mind, I tried installing again to see if I had
missed out on any options. This time, I chose fdisk instead of Disk
Druid. I discovered that there is an option "a" which allows us to
select a boot partition. This compensated for the skipped final step
in my previous installation as mentioned above. After fdisk, according
to the manual, I am supposed to be automatically rebooted, but it did
not. I was allowed to continue with the installation. Again, when the
time came for the partitions to be formatted, it was skipped.

Does anyone has any idea why I did not get the same output as
described in the manual even though I had followed the instructions in
the manual strictly?

Thanks for any help.

Help with installing RedHat 5.1 (Formatting Partitions)

Post by ne.. » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Trimmed a couple of newsgroups as these are Linux
setup questions.

>First and foremost, I am a Linux newbie.

>I encountered a problem while installing RH 5.1. I hope someone can
>help me here.

>This is my first attempt at installing (and using) RedHat Linux 5.1.

>I had followed the instructions given in the RH Installation manual,
>while installing the os. However, the output of two steps are
>different from the ones illustrated in the manual. The problems are:

>1. I had used Disk Druid to create my partitions (these partitions are
>created as recommended in the manual):

>/ - 76mb (hda1)
>/usr - 700mb (hda5)
>/home - 124mb (hda6)
>swap - 120mb (hda7)
>/usr/local - 100mb (hda8)
>/usr/src - 100mb (hda9)

>After following the steps until after I have chosen "Everything" when
>asked to select packages for installing, the system skipped the
>formatting of the partitions (I had chosen all partitions to be
>formatted). The manual clearly states that the partitions should be
>formatted at this stage, but it did not. Instead, it proceeds to the
>stage with "Running" as the name of the window. In the window, ext#s
>are being created in the various hda#s (Don't tell me this is actually
>the formatting?).

Yes I will. These are your different partitions being formatted.

Quote:>After this, the installation of all the packages began.

>Did I miss out any steps which result in the non formatting of the
>partitions? (I followed the installation manual strictly)

See above. Partitions were formatted.

Quote:>2. At the last stage of my installation (LILO Installation), after the
>part where I was asked if I needed to pass any boot options to the
>kernel, the installation just ended (with a message telling me that
>the installation was successful). I was not given the opportunity to
>select a boot partition as illustrated in the installation guide.
>Anyone has any idea why this is so?

Cant answer this one.

Quote:>After rebooting, I was only able to boot using the boot disk which was
>created during the installation process. Without the boot disk I will
>get error messages telling me that there is no active partition. I
>deduced that this is the result of the skipped final step of my
>installation as mentioned above.

At this stage, and with hindsight, you should have booted
with your bootdisk, run fdisk and set an active partition.
The next reboot should have brought up the LILO prompt.

Quote:>With this deduction in mind, I tried installing again to see if I had
>missed out on any options. This time, I chose fdisk instead of Disk
>Druid. I discovered that there is an option "a" which allows us to
>select a boot partition. This compensated for the skipped final step
>in my previous installation as mentioned above. After fdisk, according
>to the manual, I am supposed to be automatically rebooted, but it did
>not. I was allowed to continue with the installation. Again, when the
>time came for the partitions to be formatted, it was skipped.

>Does anyone has any idea why I did not get the same output as
>described in the manual even though I had followed the instructions in
>the manual strictly?

The only thing I can give in defense of RH is that things
are quite fluid. They do change sometimes and these changes
first appear in the software, sometimes long before they
appear in the documentation. Show me a coder who likes
doing documentation, and I'll show a real coder.

The good thing is you now have Linux up and running.
Welcome aboard. It will sometimes be a difficult journey,
but dont despair, help is always at hand. Now lets
hope you dont have any problem with X or connecting to
your ISP.

--
ne...
.sig server was neva operational.

Post by Lai L » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: After following the steps until after I have chosen "Everything" when
: asked to select packages for installing, the system skipped the
: formatting of the partitions (I had chosen all partitions to be
: formatted). The manual clearly states that the partitions should be
: formatted at this stage, but it did not. Instead, it proceeds to the
: stage with "Running" as the name of the window. In the window, ext#s
: are being created in the various hda#s (Don't tell me this is actually
: the formatting?). After this, the installation of all the packages
: began.

: Did I miss out any steps which result in the non formatting of the
: partitions? (I followed the installation manual strictly)

You can switch to the other virtual console to check whether did the
formatting go through... I think virtual console 4 should show the
progress of the formatting...

: 2. At the last stage of my installation (LILO Installation), after the
: part where I was asked if I needed to pass any boot options to the
: kernel, the installation just ended (with a message telling me that
: the installation was successful). I was not given the opportunity to
: select a boot partition as illustrated in the installation guide.
: Anyone has any idea why this is so?

Can't remember what Disk Druid choose as the default partition so I guess
you have to set it manually if it didn't work...

[...]

Maybe should try 5.2, the installation process seem to be better for 5.2
or just wait a while for 6.0

Computational Science Department  |  WWW: http://www.cz3.nus.edu.sg/~lailf
National University of Singapore  |       http://lai.cz.nus.edu.sg

1. Can you install RedHat 5.1 from a FAT32 partition????

I am in the proccess of trying to install RedHat Linux 5.1 from my local

Hard Drive. During setup it identified my windows partition as /dev/hda1

as a Win95/Fat32. I then add a swap under /dev/hda5 and a Linux Native
as /dev/hda6.

PROBLEM: When it asks me to identify where the rpm packages are, it
assumes it is on the /dev/hda6 partition which is incorrect. It is on my

/dev/hda1 windows/FAT32 partition. There does seem to be a way to change

it. How do I carroectly get it to look at my windows 95 partition as the

installation source?

Maybe am having problems because the rpm files are on my FAT32
partition???

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
GOD Bless!

                                       _
                   /\/\    __ _  _ __ | |  ___   _ __
                  /    \  / _` || '__|| | / _ \ | '_ \
                 / /\/\ \| (_| || |   | || (_) || | | |
                 \/    \/ \__,_||_|   |_| \___/ |_| |_|

2. Apache: problem using CGIs as inline images

3. Redhat 5.1 new install - how do you specify 'root partition'

4. need help setting up boot partition

5. redhat 5.1 install/partitioning /lilo

6. Backspace is messed up with KDE (it is not the "swapped" problem)

7. Partition Magic is froken after RedHat 5.1 install, wont execute in Windows 95 anymore!

8. crashing under SLS1.02

9. NEWBIE: Redhat 5.1 not install- Partition problem?

10. Help: Invalid compression format (err=1) with Redhat 5.1

11. Need Help: Setup RedHat 5.1 CD on Single HD(2 Partitions) running Win98.

12. Newbie : Redhat 5.1 disk partitioning utility fips hangs - Please help

13. Help with Installing RedHat 5.1