Install [Red Hat] from CD-ROM on Adaptec 1542 Possible?

Install [Red Hat] from CD-ROM on Adaptec 1542 Possible?

Post by Brian P. Kaspe » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Greetings.

I've heard rumors that there are gotchas involved with installing
Linux in these two situations:

  (a) installing from a SCSI CD ROM when (E?)IDE drives are also present
  (b) installing from / detecting SCSI host adapters with active BIOSes

I'm going to be installing Red Hat 2.1 as soon as it arrives, so my
question really is about whether or not Red Hat has these problems,
but the few postings I saw (from some time in late February) mentioned
difficulties with the standard kernel detecting SCSI adapters with BIOSes.

My system is a 486 with 2 IDE (*not* EIDE) drives and a 2.1 GB Fast SCSI-II
drive hosted on an Adaptec 1542CF using the adapter BIOS.  I also have a
Toshiba 4X CD-ROM hosted on the 1542CF.

I plan to dedicate the majority of the 2.1GB disk to Linux, but I will
keep part of it as a FAT partition.  I will mount my DOS partitions so I
can access them from Linux (possibly as RO).

Are there any special steps I should take before or during my install?
For example, would it be a Good Thing if I turned off the Adaptec BIOS?
If I do this, I don't believe I'll be able to see the SCSI drive from DOS.
One of the postings I saw mentioned something about not being "able to have
2 smart BIOSes present" or something like that.

Also, if I install Linux on a drive other than my boot drive (I boot from
the first IDE drive, and Linux will be on the first [and only] SCSI drive)
can I configure LILO to let me boot either to DOS from the IDE drive or
to Linux from the SCSI drive?

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Brian

--
Brian Kasper              | "The only way to deal with bureaucrats is with
The Aerospace Corporation |  stealth and sudden *." - U.N Secretary

Opinions are my own    O- |

Post by Donnie Barn » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Greetings.

>I've heard rumors that there are gotchas involved with installing
>Linux in these two situations:

>  (a) installing from a SCSI CD ROM when (E?)IDE drives are also present
>  (b) installing from / detecting SCSI host adapters with active BIOSes

>I'm going to be installing Red Hat 2.1 as soon as it arrives, so my
>question really is about whether or not Red Hat has these problems,
>but the few postings I saw (from some time in late February) mentioned
>difficulties with the standard kernel detecting SCSI adapters with BIOSes.

See the RedHat-FAQ for more insight into this situation:

http://www.redhat.com/RedHat-FAQ

--

*   Come to Linux Expo96 at NCSU--see http://www.linux.ncsu.edu for info  *
*        See my WWW page for computer equipment currently for sale        *

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Install MKLinux DR3 into PowerBook 1400c/166

3. How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

4. Using RoadRunner cable modems with Linux

5. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

6. Using POSIX Threads

7. CD-ROM troubles installing Red Hat 4.2

8. Laserjet 4 single queue for postscript and ascii

9. Red Hat Install locks up at CD-ROM question

10. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

11. CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

12. Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

13. NEWBIE: Problems installing Red Hat 4.1 from burned CD-ROM