VGA scrambled on startup ?! ?

Post by Markus Grei » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:29:07

Hello !
I got some probs with my freshly installed Suse 8.0 system : I got as far as
past the NIC configuration etc. The system did a reboot as expected and went
up alright, until it came to starting the X server. YaST2 had proposed a

card cannot handle this : All I get is a screen full of funny colored pixels
(you cannot see a thing!). So, I thought I just go back in and set it to 256
colors an a lower frequency. And that's where I'm stuck : HOW ? do I get
back to a place where I can run SaX or so ? Have tried boot option
"vga=normal" - but that gave me the same thing. Ctrl+Alt+F1 does not give me
a text session either. In other words : Heeeeeelp ! ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance !
cheers,
Markus

VGA scrambled on startup ?! ?

Post by mjt » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:49:06

Quote:> colors an a lower frequency. And that's where I'm stuck : HOW ? do I get
> back to a place where I can run SaX or so ? Have tried boot option

here's what i do - and i always get a running system (avail to be
tweaked if need be). write down the make/model of your video card
and monitor including its horiz & vert frequency ranges, mouse,
and kybd.  get to runlevel 3 - change to the /etc/X11 directory
and make a backup dir (something like 'save') and copy the config
files to it, then:
[bash] xf86config
answer all the questions (at the monitor ranges screen, i always
prefer to enter them manually). when finished, do a:
[bash] startx
and see what happens.

VGA scrambled on startup ?! ?

Post by Ralf Bade » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:52:51

> On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:29:07 +0200, "Markus Grein"

>> colors an a lower frequency. And that's where I'm stuck : HOW ? do I
>> get back to a place where I can run SaX or so ? Have tried boot
>> option

> here's what i do - and i always get a running system (avail to be
> tweaked if need be). write down the make/model of your video card
> and monitor including its horiz & vert frequency ranges, mouse,
> and kybd.  get to runlevel 3 - change to the /etc/X11 directory
> and make a backup dir (something like 'save') and copy the config
> files to it, then:
> [bash] xf86config

That is one way to do it. The most basic one is to edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config manually (there is a manpage, man XF86Config),
and the other extreme is sax2, which can be invoked from the command
line but doesn't always give satisfactory results.

BTW, the vga=normal boot option has nothing to do with X, but with the
resolution of the text consoles.

R.B.

1. How to get X to startup on the right VGA card on a DECstation 5000 pmax ?

Hi!

I've just installed NetBSD/pmax on a Personal DECstation 5000/25. Works
fine except two things :

Boots only into single-user mode even though I've changed /etc/rc.config
so it should go directly to multiuser.

I can't get X to start on the 2nd graphics adapter. This is probably
more a hardware question, since I guess it's something I should change
from the boot-prompt.
Problem is that the default graphics card is dead, so I have a second
(PMAGB-B) sitting in TurboChannel slot 0. It works fine, but I can't
figure out how to make X start on it (it keeps starting on the first
adapter (the one that doesn't work)).

I think I should also be able to change the console so I get everything
ut on the graphics card instead of the serial port.

Can anyone help on this one ?

l8r/Jspr

2. how can i test my ipchains settings?

3. ATI VGA Wonder: lot of syncing (clicks) before startup

4. FAQ: comp.lang.awk: pointer

5. VGA not detected at startup

6. Netscape on XF86_VGA16 dies with 'Bus error'

7. Matrox: free driver for super-vga (vga) emulation?

8. Mouse problems with X

9. VGA with Mono VGA monitor problem

10. Xconfig for Oak VGA w/256k, and CTX VGA Monitor

11. vga setup maxigamer as vga 800x600

12. VGA-setting (vga=770) after booting Linux

13. dualhead (vga + vga/tv-out)