Hardware requirements

Post by John Gidding » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
are the requirements?

Hardware requirements

Post by Brian W. Masinic » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

This is NOT true, as far as I know.  Unless Linux requirements have gone up
SIGNIFICANTLY in the past two years, a simple Linux installation can use as
little as 40 MB (maybe even less than that, if you're REALLY desperate), and
the original model was designed to work fine on a 386.

The current software available with Linux DOES tend to use up memory, so the
recommendation may not be a bad one, but it is CERTAINLY NOT REQUIRED.  I
ran Linux 3 years ago on a Pentium 100 Mhz system w/ 16MB mem and 1GB disk,
of which I allocated about 400MB to Linux, and only ever used a fraction of
it.

Quote:> I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
> with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
> computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
> 166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
> are the requirements?

Hardware requirements

Post by j.. » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

>On Wed, 26 May 1999 18:10:48 -0700 John Giddings

>>I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
>>with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
>>computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
>>166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
>>are the requirements?

        My previous system was a 100Mhz 486 with 32M RAM. It was
        quite adequate except for the fact that it didn't have any
        PCI cards and I was interested in a TV Tuner and other
        similar amenties.

Quote:

>COMPUTERWORLD is wrong.  The requirements vary depending on what you
>install, but for a fairly basic installation this is close:

>    80386 or better processor
>    8 MB of RAM
>    100 MB hard disk.

>Note that this won't let you run X or WordPerfect for Linux or other
>big stuff.  The laptop you're describing is probably fine, as long as
>it has enough RAM.  I ran Linux on a 486/33 for a year.

[deletia]

        However, Applixware on a 486 should not be a problem.

--

      Novice end users deserve better than a               |||
        random collection of spare parts optimized        / | \

                In search of sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Hardware requirements

Post by Carl Fi » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 26 May 1999 18:10:48 -0700 John Giddings

>I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
>with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
>computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
>166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
>are the requirements?

COMPUTERWORLD is wrong.  The requirements vary depending on what you
install, but for a fairly basic installation this is close:

        80386 or better processor
        8 MB of RAM
        100 MB hard disk.

Note that this won't let you run X or WordPerfect for Linux or other
big stuff.  The laptop you're describing is probably fine, as long as
it has enough RAM.  I ran Linux on a 486/33 for a year.
--

"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
        -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

Hardware requirements

Post by Nic » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
> with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
> computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
> 166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
> are the requirements?

If you're wanting to run a resonably complex X setup, those aren't
unresonable specs. It can run on far smaller machines though -- the
smallest machine I've ever run it on is a 386sx16 with 6MB RAM and no
hard drive (booting over the network). Some friends of mine have a
486dx4-100 with 20MB RAM handling email and web serving for several
domains, and about 30 shell accounts. These are both done with the
Debian 2.1 distribution, which can be fit into 20-30MB disk if you only
want a minimal featureset.

I used to run X on a 486dx50/20MB machine, with about 500MB disk. I
could have saved lots of disk space if I'd known about all the stuff I
never use, and removed it ;-)

The only reason I upgraded was to be able to play MP3's in real-time ;-)

Regards,
        Nic.

-- Nic B. -- email "sky" at "wibble dot net" --
-- UN*X Programmer, IHUG (NZ) Ltd. ------------
-- #include <stddisclaimer.h> -----------------

Hardware requirements

Post by AnglianWate » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

I have installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 on an old 486SX 25 with one of those
586/133 upgrade thingies with 8 M of RAM and a 406Mb HD. It's running X as
well but it is very slow.

Any one know if Linux works with those cheapo Winchip processors?

*snip*

Quote:>>COMPUTERWORLD is wrong.  The requirements vary depending on what you
>>install, but for a fairly basic installation this is close:

>> 80386 or better processor
>> 8 MB of RAM
>> 100 MB hard disk.

>>Note that this won't let you run X or WordPerfect for Linux or other
>>big stuff.  The laptop you're describing is probably fine, as long as
>>it has enough RAM.  I ran Linux on a 486/33 for a year.

Hardware requirements

Post by David Tabachniko » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

I got Pentium 200, with 48MB, and a 4.3GB HD, of which 1.1GB Linux and the rest
NT... Right now, about 1GB is used, so I got about 100MB free... So, unless you
won't do totaly NOTHING with Linux, you need at least 500MB... In 40MB you won't
be able to put Linux + X + some WM + Netscape... That would be 60MB alredy...

--
David Tabachnikov
Second Horizon

UIN 3600179
--
DDT rox!!! Rock'n'roll lives!
Long live DDT 'n ROCK'n'ROLL!

Hardware requirements

Post by Per Jesse » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

>I was looking into buying and putting linux on a laptop 486/100 along
>with a dos operating system. I have a 350MB hard drive. Today I read in
>computer world magazine that linux(in general) needs at least a Pentium
>166, 48 MB of RAM and 500MB of hard storage. Is this true? If not what
>are the requirements?

Our internet-gateway:

486DX2 66MHz, 16Mb RAM, 340Mb HDD, 1980s VGA-card. Runs Linux 2.0.35
from SuSE 5.3 - acts as YP-server, DNS, DHCP, Internet-gateway.
Installation includes full source-tree.

If you want to run DOS and Linux using just your 350Mb drive, I suspect
you'll be
little short of diskspace. But it depends very much on what you want to do.
I have an old 385SX25 somewhere, that I once did attempt to get running with
Linux - but the 2Mb of RAM just wasn't enough. Though there is a parameter
that might fix even that!

Per Jessen,
ENIDAN, London

Hardware requirements

Post by Per Jesse » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

>I have installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 on an old 486SX 25 with one of those
>586/133 upgrade thingies with 8 M of RAM and a 406Mb HD. It's running X as
>well but it is very slow.

>Any one know if Linux works with those cheapo Winchip processors?

It should - the Winchip processors from IDT are Pentium compatible.
I recently replaced my Intel P133 with an AMD K6-2 366Mhz (same mobo)
and started Linux without a single problem.

Per Jessen, ENIDAN , London

1. question re: hardware requirements for linux router/firewall

From my home dsl line, I run a small site for a tech community - it is
mainly text, very light on images/multimedia.  No more than about 100
visitors a day.  DSL uplink speed is currently acceptable.

The web server is behind a Linksys home broadband router, and it turns
out this is a bottleneck in serving performance to my users (I know
this b/c I have plugged the server directly into the 'net connection
and it is much faster - almost 3x - for a user than when behind the
Linksys.)

I want to build a linux firewall/NAT router to replace the linksys.
Part of this project is to learn Linux, the other part is to do
something with old hardware.  Thus, I want to try to avoid buying any
new boxes.

That said, can you tell me if the hardware below is good enough to
run:
- as a dedicated firewall/NAT router for my site (handling the traffic
mentioned above)
- router for net access for my other home computers
- restrict which outbound ports can be used & as much as possible
restrict access & log access to inappropriate sites
- log intrusion attempts
- run openssh for remote administration (this will ultimately be a
"headless" machine tucked in a closet)
(these tasks are all this machine will do)

P75
64 MB Ram
2 10Mb PCI NICs
5400 RPM Hard Drive

Will this be ok, or does anyone foresee this being a bottleneck for
either internet browsing to the outside/web serving to the outside?
Should I use IPTables for the job, or is there another firewall
package I should try out?

Thank you from a newbie linux user.

- dritch

2. problematic interaction between mc and lynx in xterm

3. Hardware requirements?

4. RH5.0: LILO install failure

5. Web Server Hardware Requirements?

6. network card speed check command

7. Minimum Hardware requirement for Solaris 8

8. Core dumps

9. Hardware requirements for linux router

10. Hardware requirements for Linux?

11. What is the minimum hardware requirements to install Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC?

12. Newbie needs advises (which distribution, hardware requirements)

13. Internet server hardware requirements