APM and kernel 2.0.35 (trouble with power-off on halt)

APM and kernel 2.0.35 (trouble with power-off on halt)

Post by Neil Zanell » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I got the new stable release of the kernel, 2.0.35.

I configured it and followed all steps in the Kernel-HOWTO up
to make zdisk. Hence I rebooted my system from the floppy after
configuring the BIOS settings to allow booting from floppy.

After using "make menuconfig" I had explicitly asked for:

[*] Advanced Power Management BIOS support.

Why is it that upon /sbin/shutdown -h now or /sbin/halt the
system does not power off then as it should?

Thanks,

Neil

Post by Brion Vibbe » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> After using "make menuconfig" I had explicitly asked for:

> [*] Advanced Power Management BIOS support.

> Why is it that upon /sbin/shutdown -h now or /sbin/halt the
> system does not power off then as it should?

I don't know if this is in the docs, but you need to use the -p option
to halt. On Red Hat 5.x this can be done by editing
/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt and changing this bit:

  *halt)
        message="The system is halted"
        command="halt"
        ;;

to:

 *halt)
        message="The system is halted"
        command="halt -p"
        ;;

Also make sure you explicitly asked for power-off on shutdown support in
the kernel configuration.