Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

Post by terry jone » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to upgrade to redhat 5.2 via cdrom.

I boot from the CD, and choose the upgrade option. After flashing a
'second stage install' (or somthing similar) message in the lower
right of the screen, it goes looking for installed packages. The disk
spins for 30 seconds and then I get an error message that says:

  mount: no such file or directory

and there's an OK button, which of course i have to accept. i then
immediately get another error, which says 'rpm database not found' (or
similar).

then there's no way out. i can't go back and the advanced menu option
just gives me a blue screen that sits there. i've tried rebuilding my
rpm database (this seems to succeed - at least it exits silently), but
i just get the same messages again.

can anyone shed any light on this? what's it trying to mount, and
where? i have a /mnt that looks fine, and i'd have thought my disk was
already mounted seeing as it has gone looking for my existing packages
already, etc.

thanks,