NEC Versa LX, X server setup problems

Post by Larry Williamso » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have this very nice laptop.  It is a NEC Versa LX, Model
VL440C4C-A00000.  Problem is, I have no idea how to get the X server
configured.

I am currently using RH5.0.  I have  tried the MetroX Xserver (version
4.1.0-2) as well as the XFree86 package  (version 3.3.1-15) that comes
with RH5.0.

I am not sure what type of video and mouse hardware the machine has,
but there is an ATI message that pops up very early in the boot cycle
(and very briefly!) that reads something like "ATI Mach64 SVGA version
4.136T".

I have tried a number of the ATI X servers. But no luck.

The Metro server's configX command displays okay at 640x480, but the
mouse pad does not work in the configX display (regardless of the type
of mouse I specify), and once configured, "startx" fails
(/var/log/Xerrors says "There is no defined dot-clock matching mode
"640x480").

I think I should have taken better inventory before I blew WinNT away :-(

It is pretty new hardware, so I expect there is not a lot of linux
experience with it yet.  Has anyone tried to work with this machine
yet?

Kind regards,
Larry

Post by Larry Williamso » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I have this very nice laptop.  It is a NEC Versa LX, Model
> VL440C4C-A00000.
> I am not sure what type of video and mouse hardware the machine has,

I reinstalled NT, and found this machine has a ATI 3D Rage LT Pro PCI
with a chip type LT-A2U2 and has 4 meg of memory.

Now I have to try an reinstall Linux and try again :-(

Post by Alan Robertso » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > I have this very nice laptop.  It is a NEC Versa LX, Model
> > VL440C4C-A00000.
> > I am not sure what type of video and mouse hardware the machine has,

> I reinstalled NT, and found this machine has a ATI 3D Rage LT Pro PCI
> with a chip type LT-A2U2 and has 4 meg of memory.

> Now I have to try an reinstall Linux and try again :-(

VA Research sells this Laptop as their portable linux
solution.  They ship it with Accelerated-X, from Xi
Graphics, since XFree doesn't yet support it's graphics
chipset.  For details, www.xig.com

Alan~

1. Trying to install linux on NEC Versa LX notebook - cardbus doesn't work??

After getting stuck on trying to install Caldera eDesktop 2.4 on an
NEC Versa SX notebook, I am now trying to install it on a NEC Versa LX
notebook.

The installation went smooth and the video works great. The ATI Rage
Pro LT (8meg) chipset in the Versa LX appears well supported by linux.

A new problem has arisen however .. I have tried two modem/network
combo cards in this notebook and neither work. I think it may be
related to the cardbus controller?? I saw an old post mentioning
problems linux had with the TI cardbus and pcmcia controllers. Is this
still an issue? I think the Versa LX has a TI cardbus chipset.

I tried a D-Link 560TXD (10/100/56K) and a Xircom Realport Cardbus
Ethernet (10/100/56K) and neither did anything. Once Caldera eDesktop
2.4 boots up, they just flash rapidly, turn off, and flash rapidly
again forever. They never get any DHCP information.

Any ideas?? Should I just install linux on a different notebook? I
really like the NEC Versa SX and LX, but if running linux on a
different make machine will be less headache ..

Mark

2. 16750 not recognized at boot time

3. xwindow on NEC versa LX

4. beginner: sed or awk help

5. Xfree 86 with Redhat 5.1 on NEC Versa LX

6. DNS behind firewall

7. running xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop

8. DMA problems w/ PIIX3 IDE, 2.4.20-pre4-ac2

9. Linux and NEC Versa LX

10. linux on NEC Versa LX laptop?

11. NEC Versa LX - PCMCIA hangs machine

12. Nec Versa SX - Trident Cyber9388 setup problem

13. Need suggestion on setup linux on NEC Versa 4080H