kwintv: How do I know if I have Video4Linux correct? (RH 6.0 - KDE 1.1.1)

kwintv: How do I know if I have Video4Linux correct? (RH 6.0 - KDE 1.1.1)

Post by Michael Hage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can anyone point me to a good resource for installing and verifying the
install of video4linux?
I'm not stupid. Or illiterate. I'm just terrified of overwriting something
critical...

My Hauppuage WinTV card (BT878) is recognized at IRQ 11. The card works
under an ... um.. OTHER operating system, so I know hardware and cable
signal are OK.

The KDE install put what looks like a kwintv executable in /opt/kde/bin. (It
doesn't execute. Nothin.)
There are some image files in /opt/kde/share/apps/kwintv/pics ... little
interface widgets.
And dcoumentation in /usr/doc/packages .
This seems awfully skimpy and I wonder if the package failed to install
fully.

I've downloaded kwintv-0.7.5.tar.gz  but hesitate to install it until I'm
sure I have the drivers and libraries right. The kwintv home page install
instructions start from the presumption that you've already installed the
video4linux stuff. A Building3 "Video4Linux" web page seems to suggest that
I probably have the required files but I'm not clear if I need to recompile
the kernel (never done that) or build it as a module (never done that
either). Other stuff I've read suggests that the RH default kernel probably
already has everything including the kitchen sink compiled in and I'm more
likely than not already OK.

If there's a different TV viewer program that installs easier, I'd
appreciate the advice.

TIA

1. Correct Syntax for configuring IFS shell variable ?

Hi,

I'm writing a ksh script and having a problem in setting up field
seperators whenever reading from strings / files. (I'm using SunOS5.5.1)

I'm performing a grep -w on an input file, and assuming a -w : word is
defined as anything being delimited by the IFS shell variable, I need it
to be able to handle a comma seperator as well as the original space,
new line and tab.

Does anyone know the correct syntax for setting up the IFS Shell
variable ?
And do I need to have root priviledges to set it up ?

Also, I'd be interested to know how to do the equivalent in csh.

Thanks in advance.

Balraj Jassal

2. animation/video encoding

3. RH 6.0 GNOME/KDE question

4. Program to calculate IP traffic statistics?

5. what is RH 6.0 doing with nsf/mountd/export ?

6. Query: Need layout of vtables generated by Visual Age 5 compiler

7. Removing KDE from RH 6.0 GNOME "Start" menu...

8. Building GateD Info

9. KDE problems on RH 6.0->6.1 upgrade

10. Wheel Mouse (RH 6.0 & KDE)?

11. How to install kde on RH 6.0?