Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)

Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)

Post by Sofie Isenbaer » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I started the installation of Linux by making a boot and a rootdisk.
Then i booted Linux.  Then I made two partitions, linux native and linux
swap.   Everything went fine.  But suddenly a problem came up.  Linux can't
find my source drive (cd-rom) so i can't find how to setup Linux on my
harddrive.

See ya.

Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)

Post by Ulrich Teiche » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I started the installation of Linux by making a boot and a rootdisk.
>Then i booted Linux.  Then I made two partitions, linux native and linux
>swap.   Everything went fine.  But suddenly a problem came up.  Linux can't
>find my source drive (cd-rom) so i can't find how to setup Linux on my
>harddrive.

What CD-rom type do you use? ATAPI? SCSI? Proprietary? For all CD-Rom types
there are different problems and I wont answer them all (cc'ed to poster).

Uli
--

Stormweg 24                | listening to: Cara-Lin (Thee Headcoatees),
24539 Neumuenster, Germany | It's the Sickening Sound (Doktor X)

Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)

Post by Smit » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Can someone teaches me how to read/write to/from a floppy?
/dev/fd0?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Joe Tsen » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Can someone teaches me how to read/write to/from a floppy?
> /dev/fd0?

> Thanks in advance.

This is the way I do it:

mount -t msdos -w /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

where /mnt/floppy is where the device fd0 is mounted.  To get to the
disk just type

cd /mnt/floppy

The -t specifies type; I also use "vfat" as well.

The -w indicates you want to read and write; -r indicates read only.

I think you can shorten it to mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but I don't
know the default properties.

If you want to unmount the disk type umount /mnt/floppy.

Post by Roy Stogn » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Can someone teaches me how to read/write to/from a floppy?
>/dev/fd0?

Depends what kind of floppy it is and how you want to write to it.
"cat filename > /dev/fd0" will work, but probably isn't what you want.

you can "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/dos"
(assuming you've made the appropriate directory /mnt/dos, and assuming
it's a DOS/Windows floppy)

"man mount" and "man fstab" will be helpful.

You may have mtools installed, which will allow you to access files with
commands like "mcopy a:\filename.exe ~" without mounting the floppy.

"man mtools" for details.
---
Roy Stogner

1. slackware, newbie needs help with setup and fdisk

[ Linux.txt 1K ]

Greetings to fans of Linux

Please help a newbie with fdisk and setup.

slackware from   unc.sunsite           used ftp from a win95 box

My computer is a generic win95 box, pentium, 16M ram
Two disk drives, each have/had two partitions
The second HDD is (now)  intended entirely for Linux
Existing stuff on this second HDD  is expendable
First HDD must be left alone for win95

strategy: boot from two floppies,   no swapfile

( used rawrite, it seemed to work ok )
boot is bare.i
root is color.gz

Here is where I am stuck.
About setup
I can get to the color setup screen, but at all times, both before and after trying fdisk,
setup indicates that there is no natve linux partition.

fdisk /dev/hdc5   ...    then 'p'  yields    ( other stuff   also)

device     boot   begin start  end  block                id      system
/dev/hdc51   1          1     600  1xxxxxxx+             83       linux native

Q. Where did '51' come from , I think it should be '5'.

some possibly useful info from the boot screen:

hdc:  (other stuff)    chs 2477/16/63
(futher down)
 partition check
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5>
hdc: [PTBL] [619/6463] hdc1 <hdc5 hdc6>

the commands    'ls, and ls-l' yields a 'unix looking' bunch of files
the command  'pwd'  print working directory            does not work.

Also, I am  uncertain how to get dos files into Linux.
I have the 'A' stuff  'A1-A9', stored on the windows HDD,
if I get the linux partition fixed, what do I do here?

Any comments welcome. Thanks.
Regards, John

2. X stuff

3. Hi, I'm a Solaris x86 newbie looking for help

4. Needed: XF86 3.1.1 BINARIES for Slakware 2.1

5. Newbie, Need help, linux doesn't/won't talk to modem

6. SCO OSE5 libmalloc questions

7. help -- Slackware 'setup'

8. jkk

9. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

10. HELP: Slackware 3.0 crashes on 'SETUP'

11. Help : can't run Slackware's setup

12. Need help - SLIP/DIP with Slackware Linux setup

13. Help! Can't setup Linux (slackware)