Aztech Sound Card

Post by Paul & Rosalie Lanko » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am running RH 5.1 from the Que Special Edition book. My sound card
(says Windows 95) is an Aztech Galaxy on a (please don't laugh) Packard
Bell Pentium. I can run sndconfig and make the settings, and it says it
had an error running modprobe. Makes a guy think I have no modules on my
system for sound card support. Any thoughts on where I can get some?

TIA,
Paul

Aztech Sound Card

Post by Mike Kollin » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Use the 'SB' driver ie for the Soundblaster. Ive got an Aztec and it worked
for me as long as you know the io address, interrupt and dma.

Quote:>I am running RH 5.1 from the Que Special Edition book. My sound card
>(says Windows 95) is an Aztech Galaxy on a (please don't laugh) Packard
>Bell Pentium. I can run sndconfig and make the settings, and it says it
>had an error running modprobe. Makes a guy think I have no modules on my
>system for sound card support. Any thoughts on where I can get some?

>TIA,
>Paul

Aztech Sound Card

Post by Paul & Rosalie Lanko » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Mike. I think I got that far, but the module can't be found. My
/etc/conf.modules says:

alias sound sb
options -k sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
alias midi opl3
option -k opl3 io=0x388

At boot, this is what the system reports:

remounting root filesystem in read-write mode
find module dependencies... done
can't locate module sound
can't locate module midi
starting kerneld, version 2.1.85
checking file systems

So, I guess what I need to know is the modules name, where to find it,
and where to copy it to. Thanks!

Paul

> Use the 'SB' driver ie for the Soundblaster. Ive got an Aztec and it worked
> for me as long as you know the io address, interrupt and dma.

> >I am running RH 5.1 from the Que Special Edition book. My sound card
> >(says Windows 95) is an Aztech Galaxy on a (please don't laugh) Packard
> >Bell Pentium. I can run sndconfig and make the settings, and it says it
> >had an error running modprobe. Makes a guy think I have no modules on my
> >system for sound card support. Any thoughts on where I can get some?

> >TIA,
> >Paul

Aztech Sound Card

Post by Mike Kollin » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

There is something in the howto on sound but from memory
you have to go into

/usr/src/linux

and do a

make dep
make clean
make zimage

If I find the reference I will send an update - i am at work and
this is from my fading memory!

Hope this helps!

>Thanks Mike. I think I got that far, but the module can't be found. My
>/etc/conf.modules says:

>alias sound sb
>options -k sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
>alias midi opl3
>option -k opl3 io=0x388

>At boot, this is what the system reports:

>remounting root filesystem in read-write mode
>find module dependencies... done
>can't locate module sound
>can't locate module midi
>starting kerneld, version 2.1.85
>checking file systems

>So, I guess what I need to know is the modules name, where to find it,
>and where to copy it to. Thanks!

>Paul

>> Use the 'SB' driver ie for the Soundblaster. Ive got an Aztec and it
worked
>> for me as long as you know the io address, interrupt and dma.

>> >I am running RH 5.1 from the Que Special Edition book. My sound card
>> >(says Windows 95) is an Aztech Galaxy on a (please don't laugh) Packard
>> >Bell Pentium. I can run sndconfig and make the settings, and it says it
>> >had an error running modprobe. Makes a guy think I have no modules on my
>> >system for sound card support. Any thoughts on where I can get some?

>> >TIA,
>> >Paul

Aztech Sound Card

Post by root » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You know I've been searching the newsgroups for an answer to this question for
several days now, and it's just starting to look like Red Hat is too
proprietary to configure in the normal fashion. 5.1 also doesn't seem to come
with sound support. Please let me know if you find an answer. One thing I've
already discovered is to get any sound at all, e.g. via the CD, you have to
initialize the card with DOS drivers before loading Linux, and set the volume
too. I'm starting to think about checking out other Linux releases than Red Hat
- any suggestions?

--

Sincerely,

D. Wesley Downer

* is contrary to the laws of man and God.
                -- M-5 Computer, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3

Aztech Sound Card

Post by Mike Kollin » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Well I am running Caldera - so theres a place to start if you want a
defferent version.

>You know I've been searching the newsgroups for an answer to this question
for
>several days now, and it's just starting to look like Red Hat is too
>proprietary to configure in the normal fashion. 5.1 also doesn't seem to
come
>with sound support. Please let me know if you find an answer. One thing
I've
>already discovered is to get any sound at all, e.g. via the CD, you have to
>initialize the card with DOS drivers before loading Linux, and set the
volume
>too. I'm starting to think about checking out other Linux releases than Red
Hat
>- any suggestions?

>> There is something in the howto on sound but from memory
>> you have to go into

>> /usr/src/linux

>> and do a

>> make dep
>> make clean
>> make zimage

>> If I find the reference I will send an update - i am at work and
>> this is from my fading memory!

>> Hope this helps!

>--

>Sincerely,

>D. Wesley Downer

>* is contrary to the laws of man and God.
>                -- M-5 Computer, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3

1. OpenSound System and Aztech sound card troubles

I'm trying to get OSS to work with my Aztech 2316/R card. Now, OSS
doesn't have direct 2316 support but I was hoping to get it to work with
the Aztech Washington support that OSS has built in. After running
soundconf and then soundon, no DSP devices are enabled. MIDI, mixer and
others work fine just no DSP.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

2. Convert intel x86 to AT&T x86 asm source

3. Drivers for Aztech sound cards?

4. Evergreen CPU upgrades & Linux??

5. Galaxy (AZTECH) Sound card problem

6. XF86Config for Vivitron and S3 Trio?

7. Aztech sound card won't work?

8. Korn Shell History Independence

9. Settings for Aztech sound card?

10. GW2k Aztech Sound card -- HOW?

11. Trust/Aztech sound card problem: MSS module not recognized

12. Aztech Sound Card

13. Trust/Aztech sound card problem: MSS module not recognized