Tip for installing RedHat 6.2 on an 8meg PC

Tip for installing RedHat 6.2 on an 8meg PC

Post by magn.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Have you tried installing RedHat 6.2 on an old 486 with only 8M RAM? I
did, and it didn't work. Nowhere on the box or in the docs did it
say "minimum requirement: more than 8meg RAM", nor did it actually tell
me that's why it was "terminating abnormally" after finding the CDROM.
Even when I gave it the kernel parameter "linux mem=8M expert" that
still made no difference.

So, I rebooted and waited for it to get to the stage where it asks me
where the packages are coming from (options are Local CDROM or Hard
Drive, but I presume this method would work for the net install as
well, since that also crashed out on me). BEFORE pointing it to the CD
ROM, I switched to the root prompt (Alt-F2) and manually configured
some swap space. This is harder than it sounds:

1. "mknod /dev/hda1 b 3 1" to create the dev entry for hda1
2. "mkswap /dev/hda1" to prepare swapspace
3. "mkdir /mnt/floppy" to prepare a mount point for a floppy, because
the swapon program is not part of the root system at this point
4. "mknod /dev/fd0 b 2 0" to create the dev entry for fd0
5. "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" to mount an EXT2 floppy containing the
swapon binary (note that an msdos floppy will not work because FAT fs
support is also not part of the root system)
6. "cp /mnt/floppy/swapon /sbin" to transfer swapon to the system
7. "umount /mnt/floppy" to unmount the floppy and replace with the
RH6.2 boot disk
8. "swapon /dev/hda1" to activate the swap space

Now, the fun really starts. Continue with the install, pointing RedHat
to the CD or wherever the packages are (as I said, I presume this would
work for a net install too). After doing whatever you need to do with
Drisk Druid or fdisk, it will say "Low memory: we need to write your
partition table to disk now and turn swapping on, is this ok?".

At this point you will discover, if you forged ahead without reading
the whole message, that it crashes out when it tries to activate swap
space which is already active. You need to make sure that the partition
you use for swapping above (/dev/hda1 in my example) is NOT a linux
swap partition (type 82) - otherwise the install program will try to
activate it and crash. I used a DOS partition, but you can in fact use
any type of partition for swapping, as long as it's not type 82.

You may need to turn your original swap space off once the "real" linux
swap partition has been activated by the install program (especially if
you need to use the partition for part of your system!). Just switch
back to Alt-F2 and type

1. "ln -s /sbin/swapon /sbin/swapoff"
2. "swapoff /dev/hda1"

In fact it's probably a good idea to do this anyway, unless you've got
so little swap space that the install won't complete!

In case anybody's interested, I did this because I have an old SX-25
which I have turned from a doorstop into a fairly useful printer/modem
server and firewall for my home LAN. I want to run a 2.4 kernel for
nice simple network address translation and packet forwarding (so that
both my other PCs can get onto the net via the same 56k modem), hence
my desire to install 6.2 (RedHat 5.0 installs cleanly first time in 8M
without any *ing around, but you then have a very tedious time
upgrading crucial packages etc.). The whole system fits into 165MB (5
for /boot, 55 for / and 105 for /usr) - though I could do with glibc
occupying less than 35MB with its pointless regional garbage
in /usr/share/locale. I am of course not running X on this machine.

Happy to correspond with anyone else enjoying or having trouble with
RH6.2 on an old machine. If anyone from RedHat reads this I should like
to urge them to facilitate the switching on of swap space far earlier
in their install process in future versions, to assist installations on
low memory machines. It wouldn't hurt (although it does mean you have
to have the partitioning done properly with a boot disk before starting
the install - but that's good practice anyway!).

Regards,

Chris
P.S. It's just occurred to me that if your CD-ROM is autodetected (eg.
on an EIDE/ATAPI interface), you might not get the chance to turn
swapping on manually at the same point that I did (I'm using a
Soundblaster CDROM). Oooops.

Before you buy.

Tip for installing RedHat 6.2 on an 8meg PC

Post by E J » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I got a tip for you:  BUY MORE MEMORY!!!! You can't install RH6.2 on a
PC with 8M of RAM.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

2.6 RAM (memory)

16 MB minimum for the text install (requires 32 MB swap space). 24 MB or
more is recommended for better performance and for the
GUI installer. If you wish to run GNOME and Enlightenment or KDE, it is
recommended that you have 48 MB or more RAM.

> [...]

> RH6.2 on an old machine. If anyone from RedHat reads this I should like
> to urge them to facilitate the switching on of swap space far earlier
> in their install process in future versions, to assist installations on
> low memory machines. It wouldn't hurt (although it does mean you have
> to have the partitioning done properly with a boot disk before starting
> the install - but that's good practice anyway!).

> Regards,

> Chris
> P.S. It's just occurred to me that if your CD-ROM is autodetected (eg.
> on an EIDE/ATAPI interface), you might not get the chance to turn
> swapping on manually at the same point that I did (I'm using a
> Soundblaster CDROM). Oooops.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

Tip for installing RedHat 6.2 on an 8meg PC

Post by Newi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does it need to be RedHat - why not try one of the other distributions more
tailored to smaller memory machines... RedHat comes with a load of cruft.
Although you may not run RH6.2 on 8mb (huh?) Linux should run - because (and
I quote from Linux Complete) 4mb is the absolute minimum...

Have a dig around for other friendlier (for your needs anyway) distro's...
Slackware?

--
Adam Rykala
Communications Officer

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have RH 5.2 running on a Dell 310 (20 MHz 386 with 8 MB RAM). I can't buy more
>memory (well, I could buy it, but there isn't anywhere to PUT it). No luck
>finding the expansion memory boards anywhere (hey, its over 12 years old). By
>the way I bought this machine when it was on the cover of PC Magazine as the
>fastest desktop computer ever.

>It works great as a firewall/NAT/Apache server between my home LAN and
>Roadrunner cable. I tried a 6.2 upgrade and found--like magnate--that the
>installer wouldn't run. I haven't made the effort he did, but it is on my to-do
>list to upgrade the kernal and the packages I actually use.

You can, if you realy are desparate, install the RH6.2 one package at a time
starting with the rpm package.  It is tedious, and I would not recomment
doing this except in very special circumstances.

Villy

Tip for installing RedHat 6.2 on an 8meg PC

Post by Martin Stenze » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dave Skolnick schrieb:

Quote:> I have RH 5.2 running on a Dell 310 (20 MHz 386 with 8 MB RAM). I can't buy more
> memory (well, I could buy it, but there isn't anywhere to PUT it). No luck
> finding the expansion memory boards anywhere (hey, its over 12 years old). By
> the way I bought this machine when it was on the cover of PC Magazine as the
> fastest desktop computer ever.

> It works great as a firewall/NAT/Apache server between my home LAN and
> Roadrunner cable. I tried a 6.2 upgrade and found--like magnate--that the
> installer wouldn't run.

The text-based install program _should_ run, though.
There is a difference between console and GUI, isn't there!?
Next time, to be of help, explain a little bit more in depth!

Regards, Martin.

1. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Kernel BUG at inode.c:384!

3. exportinng display fails on DELL pc - redhat 6.2

4. swapfs questions

5. Redhat 6.2, ABIT BE6-II motherboard PC problem!

6. rp3 crashes after dialling in RH 7.1

7. Linksys Etherfast 10/100 + 56K Modem PC Card and Redhat 6.2

8. (Hack for) Making static symbols dynamic with dlopen()?

9. Junk Box PC - Install SCSI T130B under SuSE 6.2 - Help

10. I want to install Sco Unix 3.2V4.2 and dos 6.2 at one pc

11. RedHat 6.2 and Kernel 6.2 on an SMP machine

12. RedHat 6.2 and 6.2 doesnt get acces to..

13. partitioning 4 redhat 6.2 complete install