2X Panasonic cr-56X Cdrom driver for linux, HELP????

2X Panasonic cr-56X Cdrom driver for linux, HELP????

Post by Posiede » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am having a problem finding Linux drivers for my OLD cd rom.  Could any
one point me in the right direction.  I have search everywhere.

Thanks!

Post by Kevin Mart » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I am having a problem finding Linux drivers for my OLD cd rom.  Could any
>one point me in the right direction.  I have search everywhere.

The name to look for is "Matsushita-Kotobuki", which is what Panasonic calls
itself when it's at home.  Also known as Creative Labs, Reveal, several
other brands.  You should not have any problem at all.  Worst case, you may
have to tweak a header file called sbpcd.h  ("locate" is a great help when
trying to track down where it's hiding) but only to make it find the drive
faster.  (It really ought to be higher up in the list of drives that are
autodetected...)  Fix that header file, make your kernel, you're golden.

I'm still using mine, though I'm hoping to retire it in favor of a DVD
player this weekend. :-)  My initial favorable impression of Linux 0.97 came
about because it recognized this drive instantly, whereas OS/2 2.0 would
not recognize it at all without a helper floppy.  That made it quite clear
that the Linux crew had a much better grasp of what equipment real people
owned than IBM did.

2X Panasonic cr-56X Cdrom driver for linux, HELP????

Post by kelle » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

To my knowledge this cdrom was one of the first being supported by Linux
(mine worked for 1.2 and now 2.0)

Quote:> I am having a problem finding Linux drivers for my OLD cd rom.  Could any