Lin4Win Install

Post by darlra.. » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:55:44

I've been trying to install Mandrake 7.1 Lin4Win on my Win98 machine at
home, but I keep running into the same problem.

I run the setup utility and things seem to work ok, but when it gets to
the part where it is supposed to switch to DOS mode and boot Linux, the
screen flashes a couple of times and the machine *completely* re-boots,
bringing me back into Win98!!!

Here's my machine's specs:

-Celeron 300 (with L2)
-Abit BE6 mb
-96 mb RAM
-Ensoniq Audio PCI
-ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 mb AGP
-Win98 first edition

Does anyone know what's going on here or have any ideas on how to fix
it? This is really frustrating. I have installed Lin4Win on 98 machines
at work with no problem, but I keep getting the same problem at home.

Barring ever getting Lin4Win to work, does anyone know of a free and
reliable partition re-sizer that isn't going to destroy my Win98
install???

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Lin4Win Install

Post by DTi45654 » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:08:00

Good question.  I have been having
the same generic problems, esp
with a Win NT machine.  I will
follow this thread in hopes of
helpful information, david

Lin4Win Install

Post by darlra.. » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:07:28

Quote:> Good question.  I have been having
> the same generic problems, esp
> with a Win NT machine.  I will
> follow this thread in hopes of
> helpful information, david

Lin4Win does not work under NT. NT does not have a real-DOS mode, and
the loopback filesystem is not comatible with NTFS.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Lin4Win Install

Post by ovid » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:30:03

I got the same problem with win98.

> > Good question.  I have been having
> > the same generic problems, esp
> > with a Win NT machine.  I will
> > follow this thread in hopes of
> > helpful information, david

> Lin4Win does not work under NT. NT does not have a real-DOS mode, and
> the loopback filesystem is not comatible with NTFS.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

I am trying to install Redhat 6.1 on a 133Mhz Pentium w/ 64 megs of RAM.  I
am able to boot up the kernel from the latest boot.img on a floppy and get
through the graphical install until the RPM packages are finishing
installing.  At this point the machine simply freezes up on me.  I
configured X windows with a "generic monitor" and Redhat was able to
recognize my video card and VRAM size.  I have tried to reinstall about six
times now with different options enabled (including changing my mouse
settings from generic serial to Microsoft 2.A serial) but I am still getting
the same system freeze.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me?  It
would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Southern Oregon University

2. Memory shortage

3. Man Pages Install Post Solaris 8 Install

4. telnet to the linux box errror

5. linux thinks that rpm is both installed and not installed

6. 3com 905c on solaris 8

7. installing other components once linux is already installed

8. Ping from cron not having same effect as ping from console

9. install RH 6.2 over RH 7.0, install problem

10. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install

11. Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

12. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

13. Installing custom software from Solaris Install