GNome and Enlightenment : slow startup

Post by Dink » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm using Redhat 6.0 with the above as my default desktop/window manager. I
have selected the graphical login as a default and things worked fine until
recently. After entering my login id and password, it takes ages for the
display panel and desktop icons to appear. I only see the Gnome startup
logo, the enlightenment startup bar and then the blue background. It takes
about 1-2 mins for the rest of the panel, desktop icons and file manager to
appear. In addition, when I select the logout option, nothing happens. I can
work around the problem by 1st selecting another desktop environment such as
KDE, logout from KDE and reselect GNome. Would appreciate if anyone can help
me out here.

Apart from the above, I have another problem with getting my CD ROM to play
music discs. I'm using SB PCI 64 and the sound support works fine in
Gnome/KDE, i.e. I can play back the .wav files. However, when it comes to
music discs, there is no sound from the speakers. Tried increasing the vol.
on the mixer and it doesn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks!

GNome and Enlightenment : slow startup

Post by Mark » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Dinky,

I have two machines that are experiencing the same problem, but it is
intermittent. For me, I have noticed
that the problem seems to be isolated to user profiles, or that if I logon
with certain usernames, then logon as one of the ones that has the problem,
it doesn't occur. I am not sure if this is also arbitrary or not... It is
certainly a frustrating problem...if yo hear anything more let me know and I
will post anything I find out here...

Mark

Quote:> I'm using Redhat 6.0 with the above as my default desktop/window manager.

Post by Guillaume Assir » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Dinky,

> I have two machines that are experiencing the same problem, but it is
> intermittent. For me, I have noticed
> that the problem seems to be isolated to user profiles, or that if I logon
> with certain usernames, then logon as one of the ones that has the problem,
> it doesn't occur. I am not sure if this is also arbitrary or not... It is
> certainly a frustrating problem...if yo hear anything more let me know and I
> will post anything I find out here...

Upgrading this package should hopefully solve your problem, at least it
did for me :
gnome-core-1.06-2.i386.rpm
that you can get from
ftp://ftp.inconnect.com/pub/unix/linux/redhat-6.0/contrib-updates/

HTH,
Guillaume.

1. Gnome / Enlightenment startup problems (fwd)

Paul,

I am currently having this very same, exceedingly annoying
problem.  Rebooted my machine and bingo, no X.  I did a fairly thorough
search through the net and turned up a lot of help messages but few
helpers.  Did you ever get this fixed?  Does anyone know how to fix
it?  Any and all help would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks!

Jen

2. sudo and shutdown

3. Gnome / Enlightenment startup problems

4. kerberos errors

5. Newbie Problem with Gnome/Enlightenment startup

6. HP Deskjet 660C draft?

7. frustrating slow down of gnome-enlightenment loading

8. Confused ODM

9. Netscape/Gnome/Enlightenment slow.

10. slow GNOME startup, "MIT-COOKIE" rejection: fix?

11. gnome errors ans slow startup

12. GNOME startup slow down

13. Gnome 1.0 startup too slow