Firewall help please. Pretty please.

Post by Jim Hubbar » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:57:34

I have a small lan that is connected to the internet thru a Netgear RO318
router.  On the lan, my RedHat Linux 7.1 box acts as a samba fileserver,
hosts our website, and acts as a private ftp server for me alone to connect
to from home (my home ip is fairly stationary).  I've set the router to
forward port 80 and port 21 requests from the Net to the linux box.  I keep
the box up to date with all the latest patches using RedHat's excellent
"up2date" service.  Everything works just fine, and I *think* I'm fairly
secure behind the router (Netgear calls it a "security" router, after all).
I would feel much better though, with ipchains security tightened up just in
case the router has some sort of brain fart.  I'm still a newbie, and quite
frankly, I'm just burnt out from reading all the documentation.  Can someone
just tell me what I need to do?

-Jim Hubbard

Post by S. Par » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:00:52

> I have a small lan that is connected to the internet thru a Netgear
> RO318 router.  On the lan, my RedHat Linux 7.1 box acts as a samba
> fileserver, hosts our website, and acts as a private ftp server for me
> alone to connect to from home (my home ip is fairly stationary).  I've
> set the router to forward port 80 and port 21 requests from the Net to
> the linux box.  I keep the box up to date with all the latest patches
> using RedHat's excellent "up2date" service.  Everything works just fine,
> and I *think* I'm fairly secure behind the router (Netgear calls it a
> "security" router, after all). I would feel much better though, with
> ipchains security tightened up just in case the router has some sort of
> brain fart.  I'm still a newbie, and quite frankly, I'm just burnt out
> from reading all the documentation.  Can someone just tell me what I
> need to do?

> -Jim Hubbard

If you are not totally burnt out, IPChains-HOWTO is the doc you need.
If you are, try firewall-config package which is in Standard RH 7.1.
Regards.

Just setting up FreeBSD 4, and I notice a number of differences in the
sendmail config system.  All good, I hope.

Anyway - My problem is a fairly simple one.  I cannot forward mail to my
internal machines.

/etc/mail/virtusertable:

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains esb.co.uk

Mail is recieved by the server, but mailq gives me:

                                (Deferred: Name server: euro2.esb.co.uk.:
host name lookup failed)

The DNS is set up okay as far as I can see...

Should the last full stop be there in the deferred message?  If not, where
will it be getting it from?

Help?

Matt

--
You can kill the revolutionary
But you can't kill the revolution!

2. multiple mail server

3. NFS please help me please please please sniff

4. Sun says "Skip 2.3 Maintenance Patches"

5. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

6. Xwindows won't work......HELP!

7. HELP HELP HELP...pretty please :)

8. linux on diskettes

9. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

10. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

11. please please please help me!

12. Please Please Please HELP