Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by Miguel de Benit » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
Im trying to install Debians 2.0  Linux release, but when I boot the
computer with the first installation disk (or I try to use loadlin.exe to
install from HD + DOS), the computer freezes after what seems a normal
startup. The kernel boots, I get some 2 pages of messages and then:

hda ... <--partition check stuff
hdb ...
hdc ...
ide0 at ...
ide1 at ...
Floppy drive(s): ...
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82071
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this mean??

Here <CTRL+ALT+DEL> doesnt work, but <SHIFT+PG UP/DOWN> do perform a
scroll...

I run a P55C 225 MMX with 64 Mb RAM, 2 IDE HDs (2.1 + 1.5 Gb) (any other
hardware /Linux messages details available on request)

Could anybody please help me?

--

[hYpNoTiK**]__ knowledge is power __
To reply, remove _NOSPAM_ from email address

--Miguel de Benito Delgado, PGP key available from KeyServers--
--KeyID:0x4D15FA39--

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by Martin Verme » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello,
> Im trying to install Debians 2.0  Linux release, but when I boot the
> computer with the first installation disk (or I try to use loadlin.exe to
> install from HD + DOS), the computer freezes after what seems a normal
> startup. The kernel boots, I get some 2 pages of messages and then:

[...]

Quote:> md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this mean??

Magnetic tape driver (?). Looks OK, I get exactly the same message.
After that it tests for SCSI devices. Which I don't have. Could you have
a problem there?

Can you go to another virtual console (Ctr+Alt+F2)? From there, do research
:-)

Quote:> Here <CTRL+ALT+DEL> doesnt work, but <SHIFT+PG UP/DOWN> do perform a
> scroll...

> I run a P55C 225 MMX with 64 Mb RAM, 2 IDE HDs (2.1 + 1.5 Gb) (any other
> hardware /Linux messages details available on request)

[...]

--

When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare
at you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by dnad » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

:[Posted and mailed]
:

:> Hello,
:> Im trying to install Debians 2.0  Linux release, but when I boot the
:> computer with the first installation disk (or I try to use loadlin.exe to
:> install from HD + DOS), the computer freezes after what seems a normal
:> startup. The kernel boots, I get some 2 pages of messages and then:
:
:[...]
:
:> md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this mean??
:
:Magnetic tape driver (?). Looks OK, I get exactly the same message.
:After that it tests for SCSI devices. Which I don't have. Could you have
:a problem there?
:
:Can you go to another virtual console (Ctr+Alt+F2)? From there, do research
::-)
:
:> Here <CTRL+ALT+DEL> doesnt work, but <SHIFT+PG UP/DOWN> do perform a
:> scroll...
:>
:> I run a P55C 225 MMX with 64 Mb RAM, 2 IDE HDs (2.1 + 1.5 Gb) (any other
:> hardware /Linux messages details available on request)
:

Did you try to leave the machine on for a few minutes at that message? It
happened to me once; and luckily I needed to do something in the meantime away
from the machine...When I came back 2 to 3 minutes later, the login prompt was
waiting for me...

just a thought

damir

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by Ignac » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:00:28 +0200, "Miguel de Benito"

 >Hello,
 >Im trying to install Debians 2.0  Linux release, but when I boot
the
 >computer with the first installation disk (or I try to use
loadlin.exe to
 >install from HD + DOS), the computer freezes after what seems a
normal
 >startup. The kernel boots, I get some 2 pages of messages and then:
 >
 >
 >hda ... <--partition check stuff
 >hdb ...
 >hdc ...
 >ide0 at ...
 >ide1 at ...
 >Floppy drive(s): ...
 >FDC 0 is a post-1991 82071
 >md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this
mean??

 >Here <CTRL+ALT+DEL> doesnt work, but <SHIFT+PG UP/DOWN> do perform
 >scroll...
 >
 >I run a P55C 225 MMX with 64 Mb RAM, 2 IDE HDs (2.1 + 1.5 Gb) (any
other
 >hardware /Linux messages details available on request)
 >
 >Could anybody please help me?

"md" is the Multi-Disk driver (RAID 0 in s/w, I believe).

Post by Miguel de Benit » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Ive got no SCSI devices, whats wrong??
<CTRL+ALT+F?> wont work ... ;(

--

[hYpNoTiK**]__ knowledge is power __
Para responder quitar _NOSPAM_ de la direccin
To reply, remove _NOSPAM_ from email address

--Miguel de Benito Delgado, PGP key available from KeyServers--
--KeyID:0x4D15FA39--

>[Posted and mailed]

>[...]

>> md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this
mean??

>Magnetic tape driver (?). Looks OK, I get exactly the same message.
>After that it tests for SCSI devices. Which I don't have. Could you have
>a problem there?

>Can you go to another virtual console (Ctr+Alt+F2)? From there, do research
>:-)

>[...]

>--

>When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare
>at you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'
>                                               -- Linus Torvalds

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by [hYpNoTiK** » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Did you try to leave the machine on for a few minutes at that message? It
>happened to me once; and luckily I needed to do something in the meantime
away
>from the machine...When I came back 2 to 3 minutes later, the login prompt
was
>waiting for me...

Yep, already tried that and it was no solution...

Quote:

>just a thought

>damir

I once installed DOSlinux, and at startup, I had kind of the same
problem,(Im not sure if it stopped at the same place), I then waited for
20 -30 minutes(!!!), and the login was waiting for me, but every keypress
took several seconds to get displayed, and it never let me to a shell... I
just got bored of it and decided to install REAL Linux, and thats how I got
to this other problem which I still dont understand... ;(

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by gbp » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
> Im trying to install Debians 2.0  Linux release, but when I boot the
> computer with the first installation disk (or I try to use loadlin.exe to
> install from HD + DOS), the computer freezes after what seems a normal
> startup. The kernel boots, I get some 2 pages of messages and then:

> hda ... <--partition check stuff
> hdb ...
> hdc ...
> ide0 at ...
> ide1 at ...
> Floppy drive(s): ...
> FDC 0 is a post-1991 82071
> md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this mean??

  I have that line in my bootup too.  (dmesg is a command that lets you
view your bootup messages latter).  The next lines are about RAID and
SCSI-
which I dont have.  The lines after that are about checking my
partitions
and after that about PPP, then it all done.  I don't have Debian thou.

Quote:> Here <CTRL+ALT+DEL> doesnt work, but <SHIFT+PG UP/DOWN> do perform a
> scroll...

  I don't think ctrl-alt-del, always work in Linux, the system often
ingores
them.  It isnt a sign of an awful crash if they dont work.

Quote:

> I run a P55C 225 MMX with 64 Mb RAM, 2 IDE HDs (2.1 + 1.5 Gb) (any other
> hardware /Linux messages details available on request)

> Could anybody please help me?

  Try a different bootdisk.  I don't use debian but i image there are
more
on the www.debian.org.  Since this seems to be (dont quote me!) a SCSI
problem and you dont even have SCSI, then you may be able to use a boot
image that only has IDE sopport.  I know Slackware has like 20 different
versions of their bootdisk for people with different hard drive
controllers.

good luck.

  Oh yeah when you get a boot image the DOS program RAWRITE will put it
on
the floppy for you (in case you didnt already go though this).  Do
NOT run rawrtie under windows95 use DOS.

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by Benoit Goudreault-Emo » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Waiting for the login prompt did nothing, but I finally found out a
> workaround for my problem, I had to change one setting in my TX531
> motherboards BIOS:

> under "Peripheral Setup", "onboard IDE" was set to "both" and I had to set
> it to "primary" (that is my 2 HDs, my CDROM is the secondary master) but
> obviously the OS doesnt see the cdrom drive anymore..

> Why this? Should I recompile the kernel to avoid some probe ?, if so,  what
> should I add/remove/modify?

Recompiling the kernel might be your best bet.  I find it weird that
the machine hangs on the secondary IDE controller; I have a similar
config, and the stock kernel didn't hang on me (granted, it was a
2.0.31 kernel from Debian 1.3, but still...).  Maybe your CD-ROM is
a bit flaky.

As for what to add/remove/modify: only include hardware you know you
have.  Anything else can go out the door, so to speak, because you
can't use what you can't have... :{)

--
Benoit Goudreault-Emond
CoFounder, KMS Group ; Student, B. Comp. Eng, Concordia University

Note:   the "From:" address is not correct to protect myself against spam.
        My actual e-mail address is: ``bgoudem AT axess DOT com''

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by [hYpNoTiK** » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Waiting for the login prompt did nothing, but I finally found out a
workaround for my problem, I had to change one setting in my TX531
motherboards BIOS:

under "Peripheral Setup", "onboard IDE" was set to "both" and I had to set
it to "primary" (that is my 2 HDs, my CDROM is the secondary master) but
obviously the OS doesnt see the cdrom drive anymore..

Why this? Should I recompile the kernel to avoid some probe ?, if so,  what
should I add/remove/modify?

Thanks...
[hYpNoTiK**]__
Para responder quitar _NOSPAM_ de la direccin
To reply, remove _NOSPAM_ from email address
PGP key available from  KeyServers ---  KeyID : 0x4D15FA39

>>Did you try to leave the machine on for a few minutes at that message? It
>>happened to me once; and luckily I needed to do something in the meantime
>away
>>from the machine...When I came back 2 to 3 minutes later, the login prompt
>was
>>waiting for me...

>Yep, already tried that and it was no solution...

>>just a thought

>>damir

>I once installed DOSlinux, and at startup, I had kind of the same
>problem,(Im not sure if it stopped at the same place), I then waited for
>20 -30 minutes(!!!), and the login was waiting for me, but every keypress
>took several seconds to get displayed, and it never let me to a shell... I
>just got bored of it and decided to install REAL Linux, and thats how I
got
>to this other problem which I still dont understand... ;(

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by [hYpNoTiK** » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

merci, Ill try it out...

[hYpNoTiK**]__

Post by Matthew Parr » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:00:28 +0200, "Miguel de Benito"

>  >FDC 0 is a post-1991 82071
>  >md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this
> mean??
>  >Could anybody please help me?
> "md" is the Multi-Disk driver (RAID 0 in s/w, I believe).

I remeber seeing that as an option when first installing drivers
in the debian installation.  Try using your installation
disks again but make sure the md driver is not selected.

--

Matthew Parry

<URL:http://www.shoal.net.au/~mettw/>

"Remember that early release of `rn' that prevented a posting
unless it contained more new lines than included lines?  That
was actually a pretty good idea."
                                         Peter van der Linden

Debian Linux 2.0 HELP!!!

Post by Phil Brutsch » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:00:28 +0200, "Miguel de Benito"

> >  >FDC 0 is a post-1991 82071
> >  >md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8  <--What the hell does this
> > mean??
> >  >Could anybody please help me?

> > "md" is the Multi-Disk driver (RAID 0 in s/w, I believe).

> I remeber seeing that as an option when first installing drivers
> in the debian installation.  Try using your installation
> disks again but make sure the md driver is not selected.

It won't help any - the md driver is compiled into the kernel.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org