Mandrake 6.1 broke 'set -o vi'!?!

Post by Tom Davie » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've just upgraded from mandrake 5.x to 6.1, and now command line
editing in bash doesn't work! The '!' command work, ~/.bash_history is
there, but when I hit ESC-k the shell just beeps...

Any ideas?

Tom

Mandrake 6.1 broke 'set -o vi'!?!

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I've just upgraded from mandrake 5.x to 6.1, and now command line
>editing in bash doesn't work! The '!' command work, ~/.bash_history is
>there, but when I hit ESC-k the shell just beeps...

Do not know what esc-k does. I usually just use the cursor arrow keys.

Mandrake 6.1 broke 'set -o vi'!?!

Post by John David Bowd » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: >I've just upgraded from mandrake 5.x to 6.1, and now command line
: >editing in bash doesn't work! The '!' command work, ~/.bash_history is
: >there, but when I hit ESC-k the shell just beeps...

: Do not know what esc-k does. I usually just use the cursor arrow keys.

I'm guessing that Mandrake had ksh as their 'bash'.  'ESC-k' in ksh does
what you're used to in 'bash'.  Just login in and use the 'chsh' command,
and you should be able to find a shell you're more used to.

John

Memorial University of Newfoundland
"...we don't look at things the same way anymore.  For there was once a
time when we expected the worst.  But then the worst happened, did it not?
And so we will never be surprised again."
 --Douglas Coupland, "Life After God"

Mandrake 6.1 broke 'set -o vi'!?!

Post by Brian Johns » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>writes:

>: >I've just upgraded from mandrake 5.x to 6.1, and now command line
>: >editing in bash doesn't work! The '!' command work, ~/.bash_history is
>: >there, but when I hit ESC-k the shell just beeps...

>: Do not know what esc-k does. I usually just use the cursor arrow keys.

>I'm guessing that Mandrake had ksh as their 'bash'.  'ESC-k' in ksh does
>what you're used to in 'bash'.  Just login in and use the 'chsh' command,
>and you should be able to find a shell you're more used to.

  I've got the same problem with RH6.1 updated over RH5.2.  The command
line editing used to work.  Now it doesn't.  Bash is the default shell and
is the shell running when I try to edit command lines.

  Anyone have a clue what the cause may be?  I've been watching the
newsgroup for several weeks to see if it's just me or if it's a common
problem.  Apparently I'm not the only one, but either it's not common
or nobody else uses the editing functions.
--
         LART    ->      http://www.netannounce.org/news.announce.newusers/

Mandrake 6.1 broke 'set -o vi'!?!

Post by Ned Daniel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>   I've got the same problem with RH6.1 updated over RH5.2.  The command
> line editing used to work.  Now it doesn't.  Bash is the default shell and
> is the shell running when I try to edit command lines.

>   Anyone have a clue what the cause may be?  I've been watching the
> newsgroup for several weeks to see if it's just me or if it's a common
> problem.  Apparently I'm not the only one, but either it's not common
> or nobody else uses the editing functions.

the problem for RH6.1 is in /etc/profile

INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
export PATH PS1 HOSTNAME HISTSIZE HISTFILESIZE USER LOGNAME MAIL INPUTRC

/etc/inputrc, as shipped, isn't set up for vi. you can either edit
/etc/inputrc to use vi mode, or do what I did: delete the 'INPUTRC=' line
and remove INPUTRC from the 'export PATH' line.

--

Experimental Electrophysiology Laboratory
Box 90295, Duke University

1. Problems with using 'su' under Mandrake 6.1

For some reason, I can no longer launch X apps if I use 'su' to become a
different user within konsole (and kvt, and xterm, etc...). It doesn't
matter if I become root or an ordinary user - I must run 'xhost
+localhost' as the user I logged in as before I can run X apps through
su.

Is this a new 'feature' in XFree 3.3.5 or a bug? (I had the same
experience in Caldera 2.3 - don't recall wchich version of X it has, but
never with older versions of RedHat or Mandrake)

Thanks,
   Andrew

2. 2.5 [6 of 8] 06-kmalloc_cleanup.diff

3. 'vi hang' fix -> Kinet -> broke

4. Best Server S/W for Linux?

5. Can't install Linux-Mandrake 6.1

6. ..supermount ? no! (The Ultimate Solution :)

7. HELP!!!!! Can't install Mandrake 6.1

8. AHA 1542 undefined reference to scsi_register_module

9. Repost: Audio CD won't play under RH 6.1 (now Mandrake 7.0)

10. can't compile gnome toaster 0.3 on Mandrake 6.1

11. ? Red Hat 6.1 'apropos' don't work.

12. Setting up user defaults for 'vi' editor

13. why aren't 'esc' ~ 'break' recognized?