V. simple home NW

Post by Noma » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:20:26

Dear Sirs,

I have a PC running MDK 8.2 connected to the internet fine.

I have laptop running Win ME that I want to connect to the internet.

I have one cable modem and hence only one connection and I have 2 network
cards in the PC.  I do not have a hub.

I want to connect the laptop through the PC and out to the internet, using
the PC as a firewall, etc.

Firstly, is it possible without a hub?

Secondly, Please don't tell me HOW to do it, just tell me what I will need
to do and maybe some kind of order in which I will need to do it.

I have already used the wizards in MDK but I don't really know what they
did (and it didn't work anyway!).

Thanks in advance for your time.

--
Nomad.

...it's how you travel.

V. simple home NW

Post by Wayne Thro » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:31:07

: I have a PC running MDK 8.2 connected to the internet fine.  I have
: laptop running Win ME that I want to connect to the internet.  I have
: one cable modem and hence only one connection and I have 2 network
: cards in the PC.  I do not have a hub.  I want to connect the laptop
: through the PC and out to the internet, using the PC as a firewall,
: etc.  Firstly, is it possible without a hub?

Yes.  Though if you ever might add a third system,
it's probably simplest to get a hub now.

: Secondly, Please don't tell me HOW to do it, just tell me what I will
: need to do and maybe some kind of order in which I will need to do it.

: Secondly, Please don't tell me HOW to do it, just tell me what I will need
: to do and maybe some kind of order in which I will need to do it.

  1. since you don't have a hub, you need to obtain a "crossover cable",
     and connect the laptop to the second nic in the PC  (I'm presuming
     that the cabling between the ISP and PC's first nic is a given)

  2. you need to decide on what private IPs you will use for the xover cable
     between the PC and the laptop (again, IPs for the ISP and first nic
     are a given, presumably handled via dhcp or pppoe) and whether you
     want to configure them statically, or server them via dhcp from
     the PC

  3. you need to configure the second nic, given the decisions made in (2)

  4. get at least ping working from PC to laptop, having configured the
     laptop given decisions made in (2) and (3); then verify that the
     laptop is treating the PC as it's gateway

  5. now, configure iptables to do NAT processing
     for traffic on the second nic

Cross fingers, take deep breath, then troubleshoot or debug to taste.  Enjoy.

V. simple home NW

Post by Noma » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:55:44

<snippety snip>

>   1. since you don't have a hub, you need to obtain a "crossover cable",
>      and connect the laptop to the second nic in the PC  (I'm presuming
>      that the cabling between the ISP and PC's first nic is a given)

>   2. you need to decide on what private IPs you will use for the xover
>   cable
>      between the PC and the laptop (again, IPs for the ISP and first nic
>      are a given, presumably handled via dhcp or pppoe) and whether you
>      want to configure them statically, or server them via dhcp from
>      the PC

>   3. you need to configure the second nic, given the decisions made in (2)

>   4. get at least ping working from PC to laptop, having configured the
>      laptop given decisions made in (2) and (3); then verify that the
>      laptop is treating the PC as it's gateway

>   5. now, configure iptables to do NAT processing
>      for traffic on the second nic

> Cross fingers, take deep breath, then troubleshoot or debug to taste.
> Enjoy.

Wayne,

Thankyou, just what I was looking for.

I'm assuming that if I get a hub I can go straight to step 2 as I probably
will add other PC in the future.

--
Nomad.

...it's how you travel.

V. simple home NW

Post by Wayne Thro » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:50:55

:: 1.  since you don't have a hub, you need to obtain a "crossover
:: cable", and connect the laptop to the second nic in the PC (I'm
:: presuming that the cabling between the ISP and PC's first nic is a
:: given)
:: 2.  you need to decide on what private IPs you will use for the xover
:: cable between the PC and the laptop (again, IPs for the ISP and first
:: nic are a given, presumably handled via dhcp or pppoe) and whether
:: you want to configure them statically, or server them via dhcp from
:: the PC

: I'm assuming that if I get a hub I can go straight to step 2 as I
: probably will add other PC in the future.

Yes; with a hub, you rarely need a crossover cable, as a hub normally
has a distinct uplink port, which incorporates the necessary
cross-overness for the normal occasions where it's needed.  You'll still
need to get enough normal cabling to plug both the second PC nic and the
laptop into the hub, but with normal cabling.

The advantage of a hub is, you can plug more in, and every computer
you plug in is cabled identically.  The advantage of a crossover cable
is it's a bit cheaper and there's no extra box to plug in (ie, one cable
instead of two cables, a box, and a power cable).

Similar applies to switches, which have bandwidth and flexibility
advantages over hubs, but cost slightly more.

1. Please Gurus here solve my simple nw problem

Hi,
"I am finally stuck up " type of post. I will first explain how my network
is built and the problems I am having. I earnestly request the altruists
here to help me out.

Physical network
********************

USERLAN<-----> HUB <--->(eth0)GENTOO ROUTER(eth1)<--Crossover
cable----->(eth0)AnotherGentoo

So that was about the physical connections of my network.

Now..the software part of networking. I decided to keep USERLAN and
connected eth0 of router in 192.168.0.0 network. So simply speaking all
computer connected directly to HUB are having 192.168.0.x network address.
Coming to other side of router, I have decided a simple 192.168.1.0 network,
so eth1 of router and Gentoo system have 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
addresses respectively.

I would like to list the commands I used here to setup up this routing
table:
AT ROUTER:
1. route add 192.168.0.0 eth0
2. route add 192.168.1.0 eth1

AT Another Gentoo:

1. route add default gw 192.168.1.1
2. route add 192.168.0.0 gw 192.168.1.1

With this simple setup, I am able to ping router's eth0 and eth1 from Gentoo
system. but I am not able to ping USERS from Gentoo system!  I did set ip
forwarding to 1.

Also on the router if I " ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1" it fails. Also "ping -I
eth1 192.168.0.1" too fails.. So I think if i make the routing between the 2
eth in router, I can make whole network conected. Am I correct? I hope my
explanation about my problem was clear. If you need any more info, I am here
waiting to pump in more detail. Here r my network routes:

ROUTE TABLE AT AnotherGentoo (192.168.1.2 eth0)
Kernel IP routing table
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
192.168.0.0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

ROUTE TABLE at Router(eth0-192.168.0.111 eth1-192.168.1.1)
erver root # route -n
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

here 192.168.0.1 is in USERS LAN ..presently I am having DSL connection
here.

The problem is , from 192.168.1.2 I am able to ping 192.168.1.1,
192.168.0.111..BUT I am not able to ping 192.168.0.1!!!! Strange! I am not
able to debug this stuff.. PLease help me out at this cliff!

If anybody can hepl me out! "karamba!" wud be gr8.
Thanx,
Giri

2. Netscape and gzipped files.

3. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com

4. Better than TCPDump?

5. Help with a simple home network

6. I have seen the future, and I'm scared.

7. simple routing on dual homed Fedora 6

8. LTO tape with fbsd 3.3 ?

9. Simple (2 node) home network?

10. Simple home server. Will a 386 do?

11. Simple multi homing problem

12. Simple hack to get $3000 to your home

13. ? simple linux / win98 home network though a linksys router?