: I have a PC running MDK 8.2 connected to the internet fine. I have
: laptop running Win ME that I want to connect to the internet. I have
: one cable modem and hence only one connection and I have 2 network
: cards in the PC. I do not have a hub. I want to connect the laptop
: through the PC and out to the internet, using the PC as a firewall,
: etc. Firstly, is it possible without a hub?
Yes. Though if you ever might add a third system,
it's probably simplest to get a hub now.
: Secondly, Please don't tell me HOW to do it, just tell me what I will
: need to do and maybe some kind of order in which I will need to do it.
: Secondly, Please don't tell me HOW to do it, just tell me what I will need
: to do and maybe some kind of order in which I will need to do it.
1. since you don't have a hub, you need to obtain a "crossover cable",
and connect the laptop to the second nic in the PC (I'm presuming
that the cabling between the ISP and PC's first nic is a given)
2. you need to decide on what private IPs you will use for the xover cable
between the PC and the laptop (again, IPs for the ISP and first nic
are a given, presumably handled via dhcp or pppoe) and whether you
want to configure them statically, or server them via dhcp from
3. you need to configure the second nic, given the decisions made in (2)
4. get at least ping working from PC to laptop, having configured the
laptop given decisions made in (2) and (3); then verify that the
laptop is treating the PC as it's gateway
5. now, configure iptables to do NAT processing
for traffic on the second nic
Cross fingers, take deep breath, then troubleshoot or debug to taste. Enjoy.