pop3 config question

Post by Dave Cracaue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all.
I'm trying to setup pop3 on my linux box.  I have the default entry in
inetd.conf uncommented, and a portscan verifies its listening on 110.
When i try to connect with Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, I get very
generic errors like connection timed out or

inactivity. Account: 'stats', Server: 'stats', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any Idea where I should start looking. I tried to find a pop3 howto but
could not. Sorry if this is extrememly trivial and stupid
Dave Cracauer

pop3 config question

Post by Jeffrey Tube » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you install the IMAP rpm. Look on http://www.rpmfind.com

Quote:> Hi all.
> I'm trying to setup pop3 on my linux box.  I have the default entry in
> inetd.conf uncommented, and a portscan verifies its listening on 110.
> When i try to connect with Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, I get very
> generic errors like connection timed out or

> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'stats', Server: 'stats', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

> Any Idea where I should start looking. I tried to find a pop3 howto but
> could not. Sorry if this is extrememly trivial and stupid
> Dave Cracauer

pop3 config question

Post by Dave Cracaue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for responding.

I did try to telnet. I seem to get connected, but no welcome message. It
hangs for second and then disconnects me.

> >Hi all.
> >I'm trying to setup pop3 on my linux box.  I have the default entry in
> >inetd.conf uncommented, and a portscan verifies its listening on 110.
> >When i try to connect with Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, I get very
> >generic errors like connection timed out or

> >Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
for
> >this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> >inactivity. Account: 'stats', Server: 'stats', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> >Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

> >Any Idea where I should start looking. I tried to find a pop3 howto but
> >could not. Sorry if this is extrememly trivial and stupid
> >Dave Cracauer

> you could use a telnet client to try and and connect to the pop3 daemon
> and see if it answers properly (the commands are aligned left, the
> results are indented) :

> telnet mail.local.net 110
> Trying 192.168.0.1...
> Connected to 192.168.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK QPOP (version 2.53) at local.net starting.
> user USERNAME
> +OK Password required for USERNAME.
> pass SECRET_PASSWORD
> +OK hbruijn has 2 messages (40159 octets).
> list
> +OK 2 messages (40159 octets)
> 1 17895
> 2 22264
> retr 1
> <message 1 scrolls by>
> dele 1
> +OK Message 1 has been deleted.
> quit
> +OK Pop server at local.net signing off.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

> After having typed all this and reviewing your question again, I noticed
> one possible configuration error, "Secure(SSL):"
> It might be that you instruct your mail client to use a secure SSL
> connection when it is not supported by your the pop3 daemon.

> --
>       Herman
> If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

> The Netherlands GnuPG key:   http://www.bruyn.org/gpgkey

pop3 config question

Post by Dave Cracaue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

That did it.
Don't I feel the fool......
Thanks
Dave

> Did you install the IMAP rpm. Look on http://www.rpmfind.com

> > Hi all.
> > I'm trying to setup pop3 on my linux box.  I have the default entry in
> > inetd.conf uncommented, and a portscan verifies its listening on 110.
> > When i try to connect with Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, I get very
> > generic errors like connection timed out or

> > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> > inactivity. Account: 'stats', Server: 'stats', Protocol: POP3, Port:
110,
> > Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

> > Any Idea where I should start looking. I tried to find a pop3 howto but
> > could not. Sorry if this is extrememly trivial and stupid
> > Dave Cracauer

1. Another POP3 question...(Re:Stupid POP3 questoin)

(assuming sendmail 8.7.4 or later)

Say your ISP's SMTP server is mailhost.isp.net. Then
in the /etc/sendmail.cf, replace the line that starts with "DS"
by "DSmailhost.isp.net". Restart sendmail. Next time you use
sendmail, sendmail will automatically forward your
nonlocal emails to your ISP's SMTP server. This has advantages
like, if the email bounces, returned
mail will sit on your ISP-provided mailbox.

 Don't try to run POP server on your PC with a dynamic IP.

 If you invoke sendmail (at the boot time) using
   sendmail -bd -q60s
 then sendmail will run in the background as a daemon process and it
 will process the saved messages in the queue every 60 seconds.

--

2. Remote Backup

3. PAM/RedHat: pop3 /etc/pam.d config

4. Problem downloading emails..

5. RH 7.2 and pop3 - newbie config

6. Fan rpm indicator

7. pop3 user config on Redhat

8. How can I get csh as default login?

9. How to config my solaris box into an internet POP3 email server?

10. POP3,RedHat - Help with config please

11. {{{{{{{{{{{{{What is the easiest pop3 server to config}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

12. Two questions: One on Mail config, the other Tin config.

13. mail config (pop3)