Need help making dual boot RH 7.3/RH 8.0 drive

Need help making dual boot RH 7.3/RH 8.0 drive

Post by TechnoJe » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:39:39

Really need some help with this.  Tried looking up information at
Redhat's site, but something's hosed.

I want to make a dual-boot RedHat Drive.  One partition to contain
RedHat 7.3, one to contain RedHat 8.0.

I've got a 40GB hard drive, partitioned as follows:

RH 7.3 Installed First:
    hda1     256MB   /boot
    hda2    8192MB   /
    hda3     512MB   swap

RH 8.0 Installed Second:
    hda4     256MB   /boot
    hda5    8192MB   /
    hda6   20000+MB  /common

Both OS's install, but after RH8 is done installing, I can't get
access to the 7.3 partition.

Lacking any clear-cut instructions on how to do this, I am at a loss.

Using GRUB boot loader for both partitions.

Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do to make this
work?
Thanks.

Post by ne.. » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:21:43

> Really need some help with this.  Tried looking up information at
> Redhat's site, but something's hosed.

> I want to make a dual-boot RedHat Drive.  One partition to contain
> RedHat 7.3, one to contain RedHat 8.0.

> I've got a 40GB hard drive, partitioned as follows:

> RH 7.3 Installed First:
>     hda1     256MB   /boot
>     hda2    8192MB   /
>     hda3     512MB   swap

> RH 8.0 Installed Second:
>     hda4     256MB   /boot
>     hda5    8192MB   /
>     hda6   20000+MB  /common

There's a typo there somewhere. What you wrote is not possible with
current IDE drives.

Quote:> Both OS's install, but after RH8 is done installing, I can't get
> access to the 7.3 partition.

> Lacking any clear-cut instructions on how to do this, I am at a loss.

> Using GRUB boot loader for both partitions.

I use lilo.

Quote:

> Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do to make this
> work?

Sure. I have RH7.2 & RH7.3 on this machine. My current lilo.conf
looks like:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=30
default=default
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
        label=default
        append="video=matrox:vesa:443"
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda12

image=/mnt/rh73boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-XFS
        label=RH73
        append="video=matrox:vesa:443"
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb6

All I did was create a mount point for RH7.3's boot partition, add
it to /etc/fstab, amend my lilo.conf and the rest is history. You
need to do the same for grub.

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

Post by Douglas Mayn » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:25:22

> Really need some help with this.  Tried looking up information at
> Redhat's site, but something's hosed.

> I want to make a dual-boot RedHat Drive.  One partition to contain
> RedHat 7.3, one to contain RedHat 8.0.

> I've got a 40GB hard drive, partitioned as follows:

> RH 7.3 Installed First:
>     hda1     256MB   /boot
>     hda2    8192MB   /
>     hda3     512MB   swap

> RH 8.0 Installed Second:
>     hda4     256MB   /boot
>     hda5    8192MB   /
>     hda6   20000+MB  /common

> Both OS's install, but after RH8 is done installing, I can't get access
> to the 7.3 partition.

> Lacking any clear-cut instructions on how to do this, I am at a loss.

> Using GRUB boot loader for both partitions.

> Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do to make this
> work?
> Thanks.

Assume there is a kernel at each location:

        /dev/hda1/vmlinuz-2.4.x
        /dev/hda4/vmlinuz-2.4.x

Assuming grub will boot one of those kernels, all you need to do is add
the entry to grub's menu (grub.conf -> menu.lst)

        title RH7.3
                root (hd0,0)
                kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-i686 ro root=/dev/hda2

        title RH8.0
                root (hd0,3)
                kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-i686 ro root=/dev/hda5

Fix the kernel statement for your system.

Grub uses zero based partitions and linux uses 1 based partitions.  The
extended partition is always at offset 4 in grub.  The first line of the
stanza is directed to grub, while the second line contains arguments to be
passed to the kernel -- a bit confusing.

-Douglas Mayne

Need help making dual boot RH 7.3/RH 8.0 drive

Post by TechnoJe » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:32:06

Thank you both for your help!  I'll try this out tonight and post my results.