Modem Won't Stay Connected

Modem Won't Stay Connected

Post by JMe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I've just installed RH 6.0 and I have a cirrus logic pnp isa modem.  I
can type the command 'ifup ppp0' and it dials and connects, but shortly
thereafter disconnects.  I set it to the same com it has in win98 (is
that right?), but there must be some other settings I'm missing.  I also
loaded minicom, and it dialed okay, although it ran real slow.  What am
I missing?

Thanx,
JMe

 
 
 

Modem Won't Stay Connected

Post by Chip Pille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I've just installed RH 6.0 and I have a cirrus logic pnp isa modem.  I
> can type the command 'ifup ppp0' and it dials and connects, but shortly
> thereafter disconnects.  I set it to the same com it has in win98 (is
> that right?), but there must be some other settings I'm missing.  I also
> loaded minicom, and it dialed okay, although it ran real slow.  What am
> I missing?

> Thanx,
> JMe

I'm using RedHat 6.0 right now with a modem connection.

Question:  you say that you can get your modem to dial, that it connects,
but then soon disconnects.  How long are you connected for, are you able to
browse the web, connect to other sites, etc??

If you are not able to then you are probably not making a successful
connection.  You can take a look at your log file, as root in a terminal
window use command "tail -40 /var/log/messages".  This will show your
connection attempts and your local and remote IP addresses for a successful
connection.

I would recommend that you set up your modem connection using the graphical
system tool 'netcfg' or 'linuxconf'.  I especcially like linuxconf, you can
even enable it with network access and you can configure things using a web
browser.  There are options for you to select to keep your connection
going.  Then you can use the graphical tool 'usernet' to start and stop
your connection if you want.

If you want to set things up by hand then read all the howto's and go for
it.  That was how I used to do it, I started my connection with
"/usr/sbin/pppd call my_ppp_connect_file" and that worked just fine also.

Good Luck.

 
 
 

Modem Won't Stay Connected

Post by Everette E. Barnet » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


check  /etc/resolv.conf for proper DNS IP address

> I've just installed RH 6.0 and I have a cirrus logic pnp isa modem.  I
> can type the command 'ifup ppp0' and it dials and connects, but shortly
> thereafter disconnects.  I set it to the same com it has in win98 (is
> that right?), but there must be some other settings I'm missing.  I also
> loaded minicom, and it dialed okay, although it ran real slow.  What am
> I missing?

> Thanx,
> JMe

 
 
 

1. cable modem won't stay connected

Configuration
-RH 6.0 as gateway
-2 dlink dfe-530tx NICs (192.168.100.2 & 192.168.1.1)
-Private network 192.168.1.0 (couple Win machines on a hub)
-Cable modem network 192.168.100.0 (external modem is 192.168.100.1).
Modem is external Surfboard unidirectional - phone line outbound and
cable inbound (using mediaone as isp) - directly connected to Linux
box.

Forwarding and masquerading is on and works.  I can ping cable modem
(192.168.100.1 from a win box 192.168.1.3) and I can pull up the cable
modem browser based connection manager from a win machine and logon to
mediaone and start surfing.  However, within 2 minutes my connection
will drop.  It seems that there is a configuration issue with the
linux box, with just the win machines the connection is permanent.

Any ideas?
thanks,
david

2. bttv+realserver+broadcast

3. SSH won't stay connected

4. DLink DFE-500TX REV-C2 w/DIGITAL 21140-AE Chipset & RedHat 4.0/4.1

5. REPOST: [Fwd: PPP won't stay connected]

6. command "make" is missing, help

7. PPP won't stay connected

8. dtrace question

9. Modem dials out but won't connect to a net provider

10. PPP-modem cannot stay connected

11. New Modem won't connect/Linux

12. Modem won't connect at high speed

13. New US Robotics modem won't dial; browser won't find web pages