*Anybody* have Linux on *Extended* partition ?

*Anybody* have Linux on *Extended* partition ?

Post by Wilson T » Mon, 22 May 1995 04:00:00

AArrggghhh......

I have copied an older version of fdisk from my Oct 94 InfoMagic
but still cannot put Linux on a logical part of the extended
partition.  (the fdisk of the Mar 95 InfoMagic Slackware is buggy
and will not allow linux on an extended partition.)

I plan to boot linux from a floppy - so it does not matter that it
is not on a primary partition.

My reason for this is because I have a 1.2 gig drive that I am
trying to fit Dos, OS/2, Netware, Windows NT Server AND Linux all
of whom seem to require primary partitions - I am limited to only
4 primary partitions.

OS/2 forces you to use a primary partition just for the boot loader.

Has *anyone* successfully tried to put all these systems on one
drive ?

How do you make them coexist ? - using Lilo ?

Thanks for any help in advance....

Post by Wilson T » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

>AArrggghhh......
>I have copied an older version of fdisk from my Oct 94 InfoMagic
>but still cannot put Linux on a logical part of the extended
>partition.  (the fdisk of the Mar 95 InfoMagic Slackware is buggy
>and will not allow linux on an extended partition.)
>I plan to boot linux from a floppy - so it does not matter that it
>is not on a primary partition.
>My reason for this is because I have a 1.2 gig drive that I am
>trying to fit Dos, OS/2, Netware, Windows NT Server AND Linux all
>of whom seem to require primary partitions - I am limited to only
>4 primary partitions.
>OS/2 forces you to use a primary partition just for the boot loader.
>Has *anyone* successfully tried to put all these systems on one
>drive ?
>How do you make them coexist ? - using Lilo ?
>Thanks for any help in advance....

Well - managed to solve my own problem - the culprit is the buggy
release of fdisk in the Mar 95 release of Slackware from InfoMagic.

Just get onto Sunsite, under distributions/slackware .. get the
relevant boot and root files ( and rawrite.exe ) and redo the
boot and root disks - presto - can now put linux and swap file onto
logical drive under extended partitions.

Hope this helps someone.

1. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

I am trying to installing Slackware Linux on my 2nd hard drive.  The
PC is currently running Windows 95.  Disk drive size is 4 GB.  The
drive is set up with a DOS extended partition -- Logical drive D is
2GB, Logical  Drive E is 1 GB.  This leaves 1 GB free for other
purposes.
The Linux fdisk see no available space on this drive.    According to
the SAMS book I'm using, "You can install Linux on an extended
partition  ... if you're using a logical DOS drive and want to install
Linux in its place, delete the logical drive with MS-DOS fdisk.  Then
you can create a logical drive for use with Linux in its place."

Do I need to reduce the size the DOS extended partition and then
install Linux or is there a way to install Linux partitions within the
extended DOS partition ?

Thanks,
Jon

2. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

3. Extending an extended partition.

4. Linux internet gateway questions

5. Anybody having problems with alt.os.linux and FA?

6. MTA Problems with OpenBSD 2.9

7. Logical Partitions on an Extended Partition

8. SiS 6205 and 3.1.2G -- any solutions yet ?

9. Root Partition on an extended partition

10. DOS extended partition -> swap partition

11. Partitions in the extended partition

12. root partition on extended partition

13. disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit