Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16

Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16

Post by Neuralmanc » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 04:08:41

I used up2date to upgrade the kernal from 2.2-16 to 2.2-17.  Upon reboot
none of the eth and USB devices would come up.  RE-installed the 2.2-16
kernal and everything appears to be back to normal.  I noticed the Lilo
attempted to boot up 2.2-16 rather than 2.2-17.  What went wrong?

Lee

Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16

Post by Gene Hesket » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:26:32

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Neuralmancer ;

Quote:> I used up2date to upgrade the kernal from 2.2-16 to 2.2-17.  Upon
> reboot  none of the eth and USB devices would come up.  RE-installed
> the 2.2-16  kernal and everything appears to be back to normal.  I
> noticed the Lilo  attempted to boot up 2.2-16 rather than 2.2-17.
> What went wrong?

Most of these installer helpers don't edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the new
kernel, which is a requirement, as is running /sbin/lilo -v in order to
install it in the boot menu.

'man lilo' for starters.

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

1. graphics messed up on recompiled kernel (RH7, 2.2-16)

Hello, hope someone can point me in the right direction....

When I install Redhat 7 on my system and use the kernel that is
automatically installed, things are displayed just fine.  However, when
I recompile the kernel and run with the new kernel, the display is
slightly (but very annoyingly) messed up:  The icons at the bottom are
displayed as garbage;  The "embossed" RedHat logo seems to be smeared
across the screen; windows with any graphics in them come up as mostly
garbage.

I'm not aware of changing any parts of the kernel configuration that I
would think would change the display characteristics.

If I take a window such as a terminal emulator and slowly wipe it across
the incorrectly displayed portion of the screen, then when I expose the
previously incorrectly portion of the screen, it gets displayed
correctly.

I don't really know where to start to diagnose and fix this problem.
Things I have UNsuccessfully tried:  (1) I ran xf86config.  The
configuration file it created was not significantly different from the
one I had been using.  (2) I recompiled the kernel for a 386.  (3) I
changed my BIOS settings to be more conservative.

Since the stock kernel "works" and my recompiled one doesn't, one thing
that might be useful would be to know exactly what configuration was
used by RedHat to compile the kernel provided on the CD.  Can anyone
point me to the configuration file(s) that was/were used to compile the
kernel?

Hardware system config:
        Motherboard: ABIT KT7-Raid
        CPU: Athlon 1000 MHz,
        Graphics Card: Hercules (Guillemot) GE Force GTS Pro 64 MB
        Monitor: Viewsonic E790
        RedHat 7.0.

Thanks very much, for any help you can provide!

2. XView error

3. Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

4. grep commands

5. FBSD 2.2.1R -> 2.2.2R cdrom upgrade problem

6. sound on vaio laptop

7. Upgrading kernel 2.2.x to 2.4.x and GLibc 2.1.3 to 2.2.x

8. Discription of Kernel Panics and Traps

9. problems with linux resolver in debian 2.2 and glibc 2.2

10. upgrading Glibc to 2.2 in RedHat 6.2

11. Instructions on upgrading to 2.2.x with redhat

12. Upgrading Kernel from RedHat 5.1 to 2.2.X ????

13. How to print w/StarOffice 5.1 and RedHat 5.2 upgraded to kernel 2.2.x?