Anyone using internal SCSI CD-Rom?

Post by Derek Sive » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My IDE CD-Rom drive is on the fritz.

Since I do a lot of audio "ripping" of CDs I need a good robust CD-Rom
drive and was thinking of going with an internal SCSI.

ANYONE HERE ALREADY USING AN INTERNAL SCSI CD-Rom drive?

Any compatibility problems with Linux?
SuSE?  Redhat?   Mandrake?

Thanks!!

Derek Sivers

P.S.  I already have the Adaptec 2930 SCSI card in my Pentium II
desktop machine.

Post by Tomasz Koryck » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My IDE CD-Rom drive is on the fritz.

> Since I do a lot of audio "ripping" of CDs I need a good robust CD-Rom
> drive and was thinking of going with an internal SCSI.

> ANYONE HERE ALREADY USING AN INTERNAL SCSI CD-Rom drive?

> Any compatibility problems with Linux?
> SuSE?  Redhat?   Mandrake?

None. They're the only kind I use.... On, eh, 11 machines altogether.

Anyone using internal SCSI CD-Rom?

Post by mad ma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a HiVal NEC 20x SCSI CD-ROM.  Have just installed
RedHat Linux 5.2. (I know 6.0 is out, but bought 5.3 long
before I got this thing running right).  Everything seems to
working just fine.  I have mounted it several times to get
help getting my system configured, with no problems.  I'm
using an Adaptec 2930UW SCSI II card, which Linux 5.2
doesn't recognize when you're installing, but it works fine
because the 2930 is just a newer version of the 2940.  Go
for it!  Good luck! :-))

Post by Heinrich.Seebaue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a HiVal NEC 20x SCSI CD-ROM.  Have just installed
> RedHat Linux 5.2. (I know 6.0 is out, but bought 5.3 long
> before I got this thing running right).  Everything seems to
> working just fine.  I have mounted it several times to get
> help getting my system configured, with no problems.  I'm
> using an Adaptec 2930UW SCSI II card, which Linux 5.2
> doesn't recognize when you're installing, but it works fine
> because the 2930 is just a newer version of the 2940.  Go
> for it!  Good luck! :-))

I use a TOSHIBA XM-3701 B/S (bought around 7/1997). I got no problems either.
SCSI controller is Adaptec 2940.

Heinrich.