3rd Hard Drive

Post by Delman L » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

 [*] Jean-Michel VANS*E writes:

   ] Linux says there is a hdc driver (OK) but gives a bad config (track,
   ] cyl, head), the one the bios gives with auto-detect) and is unable to
   ] get MY setup.

First, hope you are using Linux 1.1.76 or above.

Second, hope you ran the script
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1 to creat the correct hd[cd]?
block devices

Finally, Linux currently doesn't read the CMOS setup for the 3rd/4th
drives. If the auto-detection of Linux doesn't work for some reasons,
then you can specify/override the geometry of the drive with the
kernel command line arguments

   hdc=cyl,heads,sect

where cyl, heads & sect are ...you know what. If you are using lilo
you can put something like the following in /etc/lilo.conf

  append = "hdc=1024,10,17"

Delman.

   Medical Image Processing Group, University of Pennsylvania, USA

3rd Hard Drive

Post by Jean-Michel VANSTEEN » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

My system is a P5 90 with 2 + 2 IDE HD controller
I have 2 EIDE HD currently well recognised by Linux.

I would like to install a 3rd HD (40 Mb ...)
My PCI BIOS is unable to auto-detect the right config of this drive
(tracks, cyl , heads), so i set it up by hands.

Under DOS, this disk is perfectly recognised.

Linux says there is a hdc driver (OK) but gives a bad config (track,
cyl, head), the one the bios gives with auto-detect) and is unable to
get MY setup.

Then, i am unable to run mke2fs to this disk. If it is DOS formatted,
I am able to mount it as a DOS disk, but the result of the 'ls'
command is a bit strange (like a 'cat' <exec file>) and a lot of
read_intr error occurs, sometimes followed by a kernel panic.

Please help, and thank you in advance,