Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

Post by hagmantiREMOV.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

Post by hagmantiREMOV.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[ This is a repost of the following article:                               ]

[ Subject: Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)      ]
[ Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc          ]

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:Me writes:
> I just installed Debian "potato".

You should post your question  the Debian user mailing list.  Go to
www.debian.org to subscribe.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote:JH> Me writes:
>> I just installed Debian "potato".

JH> You should post your question  the Debian user mailing list.  Go to
JH> www.debian.org to subscribe.

If I thought it was a debian problem, I would.  However, it looks like
a hardware problem to me.  Is there some reason you think this is debian
related?

        Me
--

Quote:Me writes:
> Is there some reason you think this is debian related?

Your article lead me to believe that you thought it was a software problem.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

Post by hagmantiREMOV.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[my own long post snipped]

So, I finally tracked down what was wrong.  I have a modem cable
that has an iffy DTR pin.  I had already checked continuity, so
I thought I was working with a decent cable, but that was wrong.

Sorry for the hassle,

        Me
--

Post by s. keeli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
> when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

> I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
> but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
> everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
> (other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
> only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
> type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
> on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
> (and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
> make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
> the factory default).

Could this simply be init strings?  atm controls sound from the
speaker, ate1 turns on command echo-ing, ...

1. Problem with KPPP and Aopen FM56-ITU modem *sorry, modem is not responding*

I got this error using ATZ as the init string.  Then, I tried the init
string in the general modem faq and the error is STILL the same.  I just
installed Redhat 6.0 on this computer along with KDE.  If I use
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup ppp0 I can get connected to my
ISP fine.  Thanks in advance for the help.

If you wish to reply in email, don't reply to this address.  Reply to

2. Undelete

3. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

4. Parallel ZIP & kerneld

5. Modem problem (and no.. not a winmodem prob!!)

6. Installing New Application Software on a Linux Box

7. Modem Problem (not a winmodem)

8. DOSEMU 0.53.18 won't find my 16550A

9. PPP (CHAT) problem: modem does not respond.

10. modem problems (not winmodem)

11. "Modem not responding" problem

12. modem problems (not winmodem)