kernel compiling

Post by Don Chambe » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am having problems compiling the kernel with the Slackware Linux
version.  I have kernel version 2.0 (purchased as the LINUX
Developer's Resorce).  The make config, make dep, and make clean all
work fine.  When I do make zImage it crashes in the middle of the
program.  I usually get the error:
cpp: Output pipe has been closed.
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
And then the compiling stops.
The file it is on when this happens varies.  I have seen serial.c,
sys.c, and many others which I did not note.
I installed this version from scratch Monday and after not being able
to solve the problem I did a complete reinstall today.  The problem
still persists.  Before purchasing this disk set I was using an older
kerel which I had for over a year and the kernel would compile fine.
I have a 150mhx Pentium with 32 megs of ram. I have 2 hard drives
(Linux is the slave drive on IDE port 1  - a Western Digital 1 gig.)
All of my hardware seems to be detected fine.

kernel compiling

Post by C » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I am having problems compiling the kernel with the Slackware Linux
[details deleted]

If you can state your current kernel, gcc and Slackware version, it will
help a lot. Also, the info about your memory status is useful too.

--
??  ?n  ?y  2
c   y   lau 2

"I've looked at life from both sides now,
 from win and lose, and still somehow,
 it's life's illusions I recalled,
 I really don't know life at all."

kernel compiling

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hardware problem.

There is a Website somewhere in the Netherlands with more info, but, sorry,
I forgot the URL.
Search for Sig11, this might lead you to that site

jue
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Quote:> I am having problems compiling the kernel with the Slackware Linux

Post by Mikkel L. Ellerts » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am having problems compiling the kernel with the Slackware Linux
>version.  I have kernel version 2.0 (purchased as the LINUX
>Developer's Resorce).  The make config, make dep, and make clean all
>work fine.  When I do make zImage it crashes in the middle of the
>program.  I usually get the error:
>cpp: Output pipe has been closed.
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>And then the compiling stops.

If you read the file changes in /usr/linux/Documentation, you will see
a section about this problem.  It says that is is usualy caused by a
hardware problem.  Compiling a kernel is a good way to test your
hardware - it realy gives it a workout.  It sounds like yours isn't up
to the task for some reasion.  I wish I could be of more help.

--

1. Kernel 2.4.8 - EMU10K1 - Kernel Compile Breaks in Module main.o

Problem:
Kernel compilation breaks with message
main.o(.modinfo+0x40): multiple definition of `__module_author'

Problem fix:
Delete the /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1 tree and copy the tree of
kernel 2.4.7 into 2.4.8. Then it works.

Error Correction:
Please, review the changes made to emu10k1 by Robert Love announced in
Changelog-2.4.8 under "final:"

Configuration file used for kernel compilation:
see attached text file "config.emu10k".
The contents of the config file has not changed since kernel 2.4.5 and worked
for 2.4.6 and 2.4.7.

Error log (make modules):
see attached text file "module_emu10k.txt"

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter.

Regards

-

2. Need Help with solaris 2.4 mail system

3. kernel compiling problems--kernel symbols not found

4. Detection of EOT using mtio

5. kernel compile confusion

6. Multiport serial boards

7. Kernel-Compile-mini-HowTo (FINAL 4-8-96)

8. Expired site certificates in Netscape

9. Kernel compile and sound (help)

10. 2.2Beta kernel compile\

11. Kernel compile problem with (P)GCC 2.95

12. Advanced Server kernel compile

13. Kernel compiling (2.2.15pre19)