KDE Problem

Post by Scott Robertso » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a simple question.  I am trying to get the KDE environment
working on my RH Linux 5.0 machine.  My question is how do I set the
environmental variable KDEDIR to /opt/kde?  Easy huh?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Robertson

KDE Problem

Post by Scott Robertso » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Nevermind, I figured it out.

> Hello,

> I have a simple question.  I am trying to get the KDE environment
> working on my RH Linux 5.0 machine.  My question is how do I set the
> environmental variable KDEDIR to /opt/kde?  Easy huh?

> Thanks in advance,

> Scott Robertson

KDE Problem

--
in   /etc/profile  add a line that says   KDEDIR="/opt/kde"   and add
KDEDIR to the EXPORT line.

See 'Ya

Dave

KDE Problem

Post by Sid Boyc » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a simple question.  I am trying to get the KDE environment
> working on my RH Linux 5.0 machine.  My question is how do I set the
> environmental variable KDEDIR to /opt/kde?  Easy huh?

> Thanks in advance,

> Scott Robertson

        In /etc/profile, bashrc or whatever, add the lines......
KDEDIR=/opt/kde
export KDEDIR  (for bash)
setenv KDEDIR   (for csh)
        You can do this without rebooting by ". /etc/profile" or whatever you had to
modify.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

KDE Problem

Post by Kyriacos Iacovo » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a simple question.  I am trying to get the KDE environment
> working on my RH Linux 5.0 machine.  My question is how do I set the
> environmental variable KDEDIR to /opt/kde?  Easy huh?

> Thanks in advance,

> Scott Robertson

If I understood right...

In old Bourne shells:

KDEDIR=/opt/kde
export KDEDIR

in Bash:

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde

(the above works too)

in csh/tcsh:

setenv KDEDIR /opt/kde

(there might be a '=' in the middle there - I haven't used csh
for a while...)

If I were you I'd stick to bash. It's got loads of functionality
that you'll ever need, plus it avoids all the problems of
quoting that csh might bring. POSIX and all that.
(...vague mumbling)

Cheers,

Ricky

1. SuSE 8.1, sax2, yast, KDE, problems (I broke KDE)

I'm having trouble getting KDE to start, and I'm hoping someone here could
help me.

I just installed SuSE 8.1 on my computer with a Dell 1500p LCD screen, and
an Nvidia Geforce2 mx 400.  KDE loaded fine, but the screen was way off
center and not sized right, so I was trying to fix it in sax2.  In the
process of moving the screen center and resizing it, my screen washed out in
all white and I had to restart.  (On a side note, some settings in sax2 make
my monitor do some pretty crazy, weird looking stuff, is it possible to
damage my monitor if I'm not careful?)

Now everytime I boot up suse initializes up to the point where it normally
brings up a login box(in X i think).  Instead of doing that the screen
flashes black four times(like it is trying to initialize X window system,
but it is failing?), then gives me a login prompt on the same screen as all
the SuSE inititalization messages.  I log in and it says have fun and I'm
simply at a console.

If I try startx from this console it says something like "could not find
screen".  I ran sax2 from this console and it comes up in X and the screen
is still off center and not sized right, but when I test settings, the
screen position is fine.  As soon as I press ok and exit the test, the
settings go bad again, and it says the settings will be changed after I
reboot.  But upon rebooting I see no difference, and I'm still at this
console.

I downloaded the nvidia driver from their website before I screwed up my
computer, and installed the rpm, but I don't know if it installed right.
I'm guessing this could be part of the problem.

So I thought letting yast reinstall the driver might help, since I don't
really understand rpms anyway.  When I try to update the driver from yast in
text mode, it gets to "setting ftp/http..." or whatever it says when it is
trying to connect.  But it just sits there forever, and I have to reboot
again.  It was doing this before I screwed up KDE and that is why I
downloaded the rpm straight from the website instead.

Oh and I tried pinging a couple sites and that works fine so I'm pretty sure
it's not my network card that is stopping yast from getting the driver.
I have no idea what to do.  I just want my KDE!

Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to make sure I put in enough info
for someone to possibly know what is going on here.

Thanks in advance,
Hans

2. Upgrading the Kernel to 2.2.13

3. Strange KDE problems, considering switching KDE for desktop from Win2k

4. CD ROM installation mount fails

5. KDE problem? Linux problem?

6. Need "packet capture and display program"

7. KDE problem; SiS 6326 problem

8. Help with Xfree86 and Trident 8900

9. KDE Problem

10. kde problem

11. KDE problem - Ctrl & Alt Keys ignored in applications

12. KDE problems

13. MkLinux DR3 KDE problems