How to use [delete] key in Linux?

Post by Martin Wickm » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to edit /etc/termcap so that I should be able
to use the [delete] key to edit previous commands in Linux, but I
can't get it to work. Does anyone know how to active this key? As
it is now, it returns a '~' char.

--

"Windows 95: from the guys who brought you EDLIN"

1. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Hi,

I would have thought linux being Intel based that the keyboard mappings would
work "correctly".  I have 4 linux books and none help me in this.

I have created a ".input.rc" which gets my full screen bash shell working much
better with home, end and delete keys working (I was following a poor example
without any explanations).  This stuffs up or does not work correctly in
xwindows, xterm etc.

Question 1
~~~~~~~
Can I up the keyboard repeat rate from the current snails pace?

Question 2
~~~~~~~
Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....

Thanks for any help,
Dennis

----------------------------

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

 - Contains heaps of my own FREE software (OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux):
   * PPWIZARD (HTML/REXX/generic preprocessor - #define, #include, #import, #if)
     Powerful macros, programmable, import SQL, auto tag examples, Text to HTML, template/style sheet design.
     You WILL NOT find an easier to use or more powerful preprocessor than PPWIZARD.
     Tested on OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux (probably any Unix OK - if not help me make it so).
   * Icon for single OS/2 archive on following boot (also auto archive every 'x' days).
   * REXX "compiler" - Many options, compresses, encrypts (no one can see/modify source).
   * Program manipulation by Window or Switch list title (with wildcards)
   * Prevent a floppy in boot drive stopping boot off hard disk.
   * Heaps more...
 - Some source code and programmers links.  Regina Information (including porting from OS/2)
   * Pure REXX code for CRC16 & CRC32 routines.
 - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
----------------------------

2. Win98 and Linux

3. How to make Delete key delete forward?

4. Redhat 5.0, Cyrix 6x86, Panic

5. getting Delete key to DELETE on RS6000

6. HELP ASUS P2B-F

7. How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

8. latest version of libresolv.a?

9. how can my delete key delete?

10. How Do I Get Delete Key to delete?

11. delete key = delete-next-char?

12. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

13. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?