INSTALL HELP !!!

Post by Rick » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm having trouble installing Redhat 6.1 or 6.2  haved tried both with same
results. When I install any workstation or server combination my machine
which is a Pentium 233MMX on a Intel AN430TX MB with a Trident 3d Blade 8
meg video card and a generic SVGA monitor. I have tried every thing I can
find to get x started but to no avail. The box came up last night and
installed all the way through and restarted using X but today when I try to
get in only Black Screen   I'm pulling out what little hair I have! any help
is appreciated.

INSTALL HELP !!!

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm having trouble installing Redhat 6.1 or 6.2  haved tried both with same
>results. When I install any workstation or server combination my machine
>which is a Pentium 233MMX on a Intel AN430TX MB with a Trident 3d Blade 8
>meg video card and a generic SVGA monitor. I have tried every thing I can
>find to get x started but to no avail. The box came up last night and
>installed all the way through and restarted using X but today when I try to
>get in only Black Screen   I'm pulling out what little hair I have! any help
>is appreciated.

Rick,

in case you still do have some flavour of Win* installed, try
booting that one first. It's possible that Win adjusts some
registers on the video card during the startup procedure, and Linux
doesn't.

Michael

INSTALL HELP !!!

Post by Mike Fai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am assuming that you did not choose the option to go into the gui upon
rebooting. Type "setup" at the prompt after logging in (without the
quotes). Then choose the option "X configuration", then choose "ok" and it
should identify your video card. Then choose"ok" and choose custom for
monitor.  I don't know what kind of monitor you have but to get you up and

and then choose probe and your monitor will blink a couple of times.  Then
choose the option to changed display settings ( do not use default ).
Then select only one option.  I sugguest 800x600 8bit ( 256 colors ).

That should get you up and going...........

> I'm having trouble installing Redhat 6.1 or 6.2  haved tried both with
same
> results. When I install any workstation or server combination my machine
> which is a Pentium 233MMX on a Intel AN430TX MB with a Trident 3d Blade 8
> meg video card and a generic SVGA monitor. I have tried every thing I can
> find to get x started but to no avail. The box came up last night and
> installed all the way through and restarted using X but today when I try
> get in only Black Screen   I'm pulling out what little hair I have! any
help
> is appreciated.

INSTALL HELP !!!

Post by Mike Fai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am assuming that you did not choose the option to go into the gui upon
rebooting. Type "setup" at the prompt after logging in (without the
quotes). Then choose the option "X configuration", then choose "ok" and it
should identify your video card. Then choose"ok" and choose custom for
monitor.  I don't know what kind of monitor you have but to get you up and

and then choose probe and your monitor will blink a couple of times.  Then
choose the option to changed display settings ( do not use default ).
Then select only one option.  I sugguest 800x600 8bit ( 256 colors ).

That should get you up and going...........

> I'm having trouble installing Redhat 6.1 or 6.2  haved tried both with
same
> results. When I install any workstation or server combination my machine
> which is a Pentium 233MMX on a Intel AN430TX MB with a Trident 3d Blade 8
> meg video card and a generic SVGA monitor. I have tried every thing I can
> find to get x started but to no avail. The box came up last night and
> installed all the way through and restarted using X but today when I try
> get in only Black Screen   I'm pulling out what little hair I have! any
help
> is appreciated.

1. Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Okay here's the info:

Standard system:
-    P133
-    32MB
-    1.2GB IDE Hard Drive (quantum bigfoot)
-    IDE CD-ROM

I have RH6.0 on CD and I have the installation boot disk.
The hard drive has NOTHING on it, I have used the "zero fill" utility from
Quantum to erase the HD.
I boot the RH installation disk and follow the normal setup
I create the following partitions on the HD:
    - /                = 100MB    hda0
    - /home        = 300MB    hda1
    - /usr            = 500MB    hda2
    - /usr/local     = 200MB    hda3
    - swap        = 100MB    hda4

(all partitions are using linux native)

Proceeding with the installation it copies files to the HD, next it asks if
I want to configure the network where at this start I say "NO" because Linux
does not seem to see my 2 DEC network cards. then there are some more
options.

At this stage it asks me if I want to create a bootdisk, if I put a blank
3.5" disk in the drive and select "YES" it comes back and says "unable to
create boot disk" without even reading from the Drive !!! If I say "No" to
the bootdisk option and try and install LILO on the harddrive, again it
comes back and says that it could not install LILO on the hard drive ... why
???

I have tried playing around with the partition configuration but nothing
seems to work.

I cannot understand why LILO will not install ....... in the BIOS I have
tried configuring the harddrive as "LBA" and "NORMAL" but that does not
work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get LILO to install properly on my
system ??

I have read in this newsgroup how some people say to edit the lilo.conf file
but I don't think this applies to me as I am installing from a CD ??

Please, I have tried playing with the installation process for about 3 days
now and I am really at a lose on what to try now.
If anyone has a solution can you PLEASE email me at

Thank you very much,
Gerald.

2. Starting CDE to another unix!!!

3. Installing the gcc 2.4.5 binaries with Cygnus already installed, HELP

4. Mail Server's For Dummies?

5. install help on IBM - RISC System/6000 43P-140 install request

6. Converting UNIX disks to DOS

7. please help: corel and caldera linux install help

8. netbsd/mppc: mouse support?

9. Apache & FrontPage install help

10. 36 GB Maxtor Hard disk install HELP!!

11. AHA-152X install help

12. Linux craps at install~HELP

13. Linux Universe CD install help??!