Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

Post by Chris Davie » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Just recopiled my kernel (2.0.34) all was well but i have my system setup
for a X login screen, as it gets to this the screen just flashes and the
only way to get out is resetting the machine! Key presses don't respond.
So.....as i was testing this kernel it was on a floppy. (lucky me eh) i
changed /etc/inittab so default runlevel was 2 (SuSE 5.2) so X wouldn't
attempt to start, boots fine to the login prompt but X still won't start. It
complains about no mouse being configured, i suppose this is the problem OR
is it???

I only wanted to add PPP support, my kernel was fine as it was. Is there
anyway of recompiling the kernel keeping the existing configuration but just
adding PPP? by doing make xconfig or whatever it seems to start with default
values, is this true?

I hope someone will assist..i have learnt so much in the last few days about
Linux and i am hungry for more!!! More Linux YAY!

Chris

Post by mgibb.. » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: Just recopiled my kernel (2.0.34) all was well but i have my system setup
: for a X login screen, as it gets to this the screen just flashes and the
: only way to get out is resetting the machine! Key presses don't respond.
: So.....as i was testing this kernel it was on a floppy. (lucky me eh) i
: changed /etc/inittab so default runlevel was 2 (SuSE 5.2) so X wouldn't
: attempt to start, boots fine to the login prompt but X still won't start. It
: complains about no mouse being configured, i suppose this is the problem OR
: is it???
        If you compiled with gcc-2.8 the answer is yes. There are apparently
 some 'non standard' features of the kernel that don't compile well with
 gcc-2.8 and effect running X. To fix the problem apply the following patch
 The patch also works for 2.0.35.

*** linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c.old  Fri May  1 23:54:19 1998
--- linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c      Fri May  1 23:54:38 1998
***************
*** 77,81 ****
             long esi, long edi, long ebp, long eax, long ds,
             long es, long fs, long gs, long orig_eax,
!            long eip,long cs,long eflags,long esp,long ss)
  {
        unsigned int level = ebx;
--- 77,81 ----
             long esi, long edi, long ebp, long eax, long ds,
             long es, long fs, long gs, long orig_eax,
!            long eip,long cs,volatile long eflags,long esp,long ss)
  {
        unsigned int level = ebx;

--
________
        Matthew Gibbins

Post by Gregory Neil Basto » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: : Just recopiled my kernel (2.0.34) all was well but i have my system setup
: : for a X login screen, as it gets to this the screen just flashes and the
: : only way to get out is resetting the machine! Key presses don't respond.
: : So.....as i was testing this kernel it was on a floppy. (lucky me eh) i
: : changed /etc/inittab so default runlevel was 2 (SuSE 5.2) so X wouldn't
: : attempt to start, boots fine to the login prompt but X still won't start. It
: : complains about no mouse being configured, i suppose this is the problem OR
: : is it???

This is the obvious thing, so you've probably checked, but...
Perhaps your new kernel doesn't support the mouse.
I forgot to compile in support for a PS/2 mouse (half a P of S)
recently, and saw a fairly similar error message from X.
Thank heavens for modules.

Does the mouse work under GPM?

7~he 7~hought /|ssassin

1. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

2. Dell is helping its customers

3. can't mount DOS partition anymore after kernel recompile.

4. Diamond Stealth 3D 3000

5. Kernel won't change! Please please help

7. Can't compile kernel anymore, please help

8. help with TGUI9400CXi

9. Xwindows won't start anymore

10. HELP!@!! Kernel Won't Recompile!!!

11. power failure -> kde won't start anymore

12. KDE won't start anymore

13. HELP Kernel won't recompile!!