cannot play games in linux red hat 7.2

Post by news.cis.dfn.d » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:07:36

I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my motherboard
(now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled linux, my games
are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled Mandrake 8.2 and it
works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't.
Jack

Post by Michael Floria » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 19:51:06

> I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
> hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my motherboard
> (now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled linux, my
> games are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled Mandrake 8.2 and
> it works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't.
> Jack

sounds as if you don't have 3d-support enabled.
--
bis denne, michael

Post by Dave Bus » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:56:38

> I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
> hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my
> motherboard (now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled
> linux, my games are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled
> Mandrake 8.2 and it works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't. Jack

Hi Jack,
        Had a similar problem myself. I have a Voodoo 3 card, and it won't work
in 24 bit mode. Dropped it down to 16 bit mode and it works fine.

        Run Xconfigurator and see if that helps.

- Dave

cannot play games in linux red hat 7.2

Post by drova » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:03:41

Quote:> I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
> hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my motherboard
> (now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled linux, my
games
> are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled Mandrake 8.2 and it
> works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't.
> Jack

If you have a video card based on the Nvidia chip set then you need to go to
www.nvidia.com and download their drivers, they're considerably faster than
the default. Nvidia has the best opengl support of any chip set at the
moment. If not then check with your board's manufacturer to find out how to
get and install their opengl drivers.

cannot play games in linux red hat 7.2

Post by Jack » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:07:23

It's a ATI Radeon VE.

> > I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
> > hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my
motherboard
> > (now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled linux, my
> games
> > are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled Mandrake 8.2 and it
> > works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't.
> > Jack

> If you have a video card based on the Nvidia chip set then you need to go
> www.nvidia.com and download their drivers, they're considerably faster
than
> the default. Nvidia has the best opengl support of any chip set at the
> moment. If not then check with your board's manufacturer to find out how
> get and install their opengl drivers.

cannot play games in linux red hat 7.2

I have already done it but still the same. I have an ATI Radeon VE card.

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:29:19

> > > I used to play the linux games (Tux Racer etc) just fine with my old
> > > hardware config, although no sound, but since I 've changed my
> > > motherboard (now with sound and network card integrated) and reinstalled
> > > linux, my games are incredibly slow moving. I have also reinstalled
> > > Mandrake 8.2 and it works fine. Why Red hat 7.2 doesn't. Jack

Red Hat 7.2 comes with GL libs that are not DRI-enabled (in other
words, they won't do hardware 3D acceleration). Apparently, Mandrake
included the "stock" XFree86 libs in their distro, which do support
DRI acceleration.

If you ever get the bug to try RH7.2 again, after you install the
distro, go get the XFree86 4.2 tarballs (not the 4.1 that comes with
RH7.2) and install them right over the Red Hat install. This should
get the lib issue straightened out (and will support your Radeon
better, as the Radeon support in 4.2 is better than that in 4.1).
You might also have to change some symlinks in /usr/lib to make
the GLU entries point to the appropriate libs in /usr/X11R6/lib
as well.

You can tell all is well, BTW, by running "glxinfo | less" and
looking at the top for a line that says that Direct Rendering
is enabled.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

1. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Bill

2. help setting permission for new users

3. Playing Audio CD's in Red Hat 7.2

4. DIP, SLIP, Unknown Server Error HELP!

5. KSCD kills audio CD playing on Red Hat 7.2 enigma release on /dev/hdb

6. trouble with serial card and vt100 terminal.

7. Cannot connect to the internet through modem in Red hat 7.2?

8. Adding a user

9. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

10. red hat 7.2 linuxconf cannot be found

11. Cannot access Red Hat 7.2 from the Internet

12. Configuracion Red Hat 7.2 en red

13. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.