X problems with K6 processor

Post by David Y » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Ever since I upgraded my Gateway Pentium 120 to a K6 233 with an Intel
TX chipset, I've been experiencing problems with X apps.
The fvwm windows manager takes about 3-5 minutes to start or restart
and netscape now also takes about that time to start up.
I didn't experience any of these problems with my old CPU.
I've also re-installed my Linux Redhat 5.0 which didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanx in advance.

Post by Paul C Frederic » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Ever since I upgraded my Gateway Pentium 120 to a K6 233 with an Intel
>TX chipset, I've been experiencing problems with X apps.
>The fvwm windows manager takes about 3-5 minutes to start or restart
>and netscape now also takes about that time to start up.
>I didn't experience any of these problems with my old CPU.
>I've also re-installed my Linux Redhat 5.0 which didn't help.

>Anyone have any ideas?
>Thanx in advance.

Nope, my AMD K-6 200 works just peachy with Linux, and X
Maybe it's because you upgraded a Gateway? I always thought
that they were in the business of selling new computers.
Upgrading, to them, doesn't make the best business sense.
hehehehe
BTW, I always build my own systems, they 'upgrade' real well.
Tske this box, for instance. I built it on a lark, because I had some parts
lying around.
I got the CPU, MOBO, and a case, put in what I had lying around, and
away I go!
What really impressed me was, this system doesn't perform bad at all.
It's sometimes twice as fast as my genuine Intel system.
And I haven't had _any_ compatibility problems.
Not with the microprocessor, not with any of it.

Post by Hyong L » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Ever since I upgraded my Gateway Pentium 120 to a K6 233 with an Intel
>TX chipset, I've been experiencing problems with X apps.
>The fvwm windows manager takes about 3-5 minutes to start or restart
>and netscape now also takes about that time to start up.
>I didn't experience any of these problems with my old CPU.
>I've also re-installed my Linux Redhat 5.0 which didn't help.
>Anyone have any ideas?
>Thanx in advance.

Do you notice a general slowdown, or just starting up X programs?  If the
programs run as slowly as they start, you're bios may not be turning on the
primary caches in the K6.  Just a thought.

--

                        Regards,
                                Hyong

Post by Nick Phillip » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >Anyone have any ideas?
> >Thanx in advance.

Have you set the jumpers on your motherboard correctly for a K6-233? Is
your motherboard capable of supporting a K6-233 running at full speed?

--

Post by tafer.. » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > >Anyone have any ideas?
> > >Thanx in advance.

> Have you set the jumpers on your motherboard correctly for a K6-233? Is
> your motherboard capable of supporting a K6-233 running at full speed?

Are you sure that you do not have a heat problem ?

I remember that there are K6-233 out that run with 3.3V core voltage
and these types are likely to overheat.

Try to use a better CPU fan and a larger heat sink in this case.

When I tried to overclock my K6-200 I had problems when gameing that
resulted in the game simply terminating or the computer resetting
suddenly.

--Stefan

Post by G&G Technologies Grou » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Have you set the jumpers on your motherboard correctly for a K6-233? Is
> > your motherboard capable of supporting a K6-233 running at full speed?

> Are you sure that you do not have a heat problem ?

> I remember that there are K6-233 out that run with 3.3V core voltage
> and these types are likely to overheat.

> Try to use a better CPU fan and a larger heat sink in this case.

> When I tried to overclock my K6-200 I had problems when gameing that
> resulted in the game simply terminating or the computer resetting
> suddenly.

> --Stefan

Any overheating probs with a K6 can usually be cured by simply putting a
bit of heat-transfer compound on the face of the cpu where it butts up
to the heat sink. You can get this stuff from Tandy/RatShack
(RadioShack) for next to nothing and it almost always solves the prob.
every
place in the address to reply.)

__Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.

--Windoze95 ... a 32 bit graphical front end to a 16 bit patch on an 8
 bit operating system written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company
 without 1 bit of decency.... =B-)

1. Problems with an AMD K6-III 400 Mhz processor and Linux

Hi,

Some few days ago, I put a message on this and one or two other Linux
newsgroups asking for any ideas on problems I was having with an unstable
Linux system using an AMD K6-III processor.  The system had worked fine
using an AMD K6 (233 Mhz) processor and the only change had been the cpu.

Quite a few of you took the time to offer suggestions including suspecting
memory/cpu timing issues; the problem appeared as Sig 11 and segmentation
errors.  In the end I sent back the cpu, although it worked OK running
Windows 95, and I have received a replacement K6-III.  The problems have all
disappeared!

I should like to thank those who responded to my request for help, you were
right in your diagnoses.  If anyone else suddenly finds Sig 11,
segmentation, and similar errors, try changing the processor - it might just
work!

Thanks

Ian Nicholls

2. hi, how do i dial my isp using my internal modem. i am using red hat linux 8.0.

3. AMD-K6-166 Processor

4. freeswan 1.7 on Mandrake 2.2.16

5. Does Linux work on AMD K6-3 processors?

6. New visual programming tools for Linux

7. Linux with AMD K6 processor question

8. Has anyone used a Panasonic KX-6100 with Linux?

9. RH 5.2 & AMD-K6 3D Processor?

10. How can I install Linux on a Machine with the AMD k6 processor

11. kernel processor type for AMD-K6-2

12. AMD K6-2 Processors and Linux

13. Alert: AMD K6-2 350 Mhz processor