don't want to burn my monitor: X Windows installation and others

don't want to burn my monitor: X Windows installation and others

Post by xiaoni » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi, all

I heed to choose between Slackware and Red Hat distributions. I learned
that it could be dangeous to configue the monitor or video card when
installing X Windows. And my friend says that Red Hat has a program
which makes X windows installation easier and safer.

Any one help me answering this and please tell me how to install X
with danger (burning my monitor?)

Appreciate your help!

Lance

Post by Chuck Simmon » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, all

> I heed to choose between Slackware and Red Hat distributions. I learned
> that it could be dangeous to configue the monitor or video card when
> installing X Windows. And my friend says that Red Hat has a program
> which makes X windows installation easier and safer.

> Any one help me answering this and please tell me how to install X
> with danger (burning my monitor?)

Both Slackware and Red Hat use autoprobe to atempt to identify certain
video card parameters.  Red Hat does this early in the install process
if you select graphical installation.  You still must make a good choice
for your monitor.  If the process fails, you should <ctrl><alt> Back
Space to kill X quickly and perhaps try again.  The Red Hat does seem
easier and worked fine with my hardware although I've done it also with
x86config by playing guessing games as well.  If your goal is a running
Linux, you can pick either one and get there.

Chuck
--
          ...  the times have been,
         That, when the brains were out,

Chuck's Place http://www.garlic.com/~chrlsim/
Unofficial Netscape FAQ http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~oliver/faq/

Post by Graham Swall » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Any one help me answering this and please tell me how to install X
> with danger (burning my monitor?)

        Now that's refreshing, with danger! How about swinging fire
        clubs * standing in a pool of water, the monitor taken out
        of it's casing, with Xmas decorations falling from the ceiling ...

        The basic problem, is that the monitor has minimum and maximum
        tolerences, beyond which it either switches off, or starts
        smouldering. This is "always" a risk, but you can reduce the risk
        by finding the specs for your monitor, and calculating the timings
        that go into /etc/XF86Config.

        There is (currently) no hardware return path, for information from
        the monitor. The only source of information, is the "name" of the
        monitor, and the figures in the "manual". XF86_SVGA does help, by
        accepting certain "limiting parameters", and disqualifying mode
        lines that go outside, but YOU have to get those parameters in
        there.

        To calculate the actual timings, from the mode line numbers, read
        the following (which also lists other DOCS to read):

http://www.veryComputer.com/~gps/Raven/SSR01/ssr01_11_x11_conf.html

        Visually check that the timings you are about to try, match those
        in the monitors manual, and listen to the monitor. The higher
        frequencies do make higher pitch sounds, but you might be able to
        "hear" a problem (or decide that it would give you a headache
        anyway).

        The only problem with this approach, is that you do the checking,
        and you only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong.

--
        -----------------------------------
        http://www.veryComputer.com/~trix   <-- Linux Info Pages

1. ** WANTED: Used SPARCstation 2, 5, or 10 (don't need: Monitor or Disk)

Oct 11, 1995

Hello,

We are looking to buy one used Sun SPARCstation 2 (or 5 or 10) workstation.

We already have a color monitor, disks and RAM for it, so we'd prefer
just the used SPARCstation CPU box (to which we'll use our existing
color monitor, disk and RAM memory).

If you have either one of these CPU's for sale, please send info to:

Thanks!

2. RedHat 4.0 Users-Guide in A4 ?

3. Nobody wants Windows because it don't Super Computer.

4. catching shell error in c

5. VisionFS 1.2 on SCO 5.04: Some PC's see host, others don't

6. Multiple FTPing

7. Winmodem and others that don't work

8. Problem with Compiling Curses under C++

9. Some sounds work others don't.

10. Two linux boxes don't see each others ...

11. One perl script works, others don't

12. Virtual hosting/apache: compuserv & others don't work!

13. SANE issue - some parts find scanner, others don't