Redial with chat and pppd

Post by Robert Berea » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is there some way to configure chat to redial when a busy
signal is encountered while trying to connect to an ISP ?  I seem to
have missed it if it's in the documentation. Thanks.

Redial with chat and pppd

Post by Hans Geo » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Is there some way to configure chat to redial when a busy
>signal is encountered while trying to connect to an ISP ?  I seem to
>have missed it if it's in the documentation. Thanks.

I use Bourne Shell scripts testing the exit status of chat.
Chat seems to be very simple, so I don't think it can handle this alone.

The chat line does not need to be more complicated than:
while ! chat; do sleep 300; done

However - it might be wise to stop the loop on some error, e.g.
if you get 'NUMBER BLACKLISTED' from the modem...
Read the manual on chat to see the exit codes.

--
:-- Hans Georg

student at Universitas Bergensis | http://brems.ii.uib.no/~s674/

,,Den der kun tar sp?g for sp?g, og alvor kun alvorligt;
den har i det rene og hele fattet begge deler d?rligt'' Piet Hein

1. Q) pppd + chat redialing when BUSY, how?

Hello

I'm relatively new to linux, but seem to have all working but pppd
redial.  I've read in this news group a long while back about (I
think) the persist argument for pppd.  This does not redial for me
when I get a busy signal.  After the default timeout value is reached,
it just exits with (zero) 0

I'm running Slackware, linux kernel 1.2.13.  I've read the pppd man
and the chat man, but nothing is mentioned about redialing.  I'm
running pppd version 2.1.2, does this version support redialing?
Lastly, is there some other daemon that runs in linux I can run to
watch for the BUSY signal to redial my ISP?

Any help anyone could proved would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rick

2. startx fails after installing 6.1 RH upgrades

3. pppd & chat - chat not talking to serial port

4. Netscape Slow & Memory leak under RH52/KDE

5. How to write a chat script to redial

6. 7.2 Barfs

7. how to make chat redial when the line is busy

8. xsane problems!!!

9. Chat Auto-Redial

10. PPP+chat: How to redial 2 or more numbers

11. PPP Chat Scripts and Redialing

12. PPP's chat will sleep for about 1 minute b4 redial

13. ppp and chat -redial option