Using IDE CD-Writer via ide-scsi?

Post by Kelly Murra » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

My thanks to those who pointed me to the ISO image to burn my own
RedHat 5.2 CD.  Worked fine to burn the CD under WIndows.

My reason to install 5.2 was to upgrade my Linux
system to be able to burn CDs without using Windows.
Apparantly it requires the newer kernel that supports
the ide-scsi translation.

Well I can't get it to work.  I recompiled a new kernel
with ide-scsi support and booted it, and it appears
to see 1 scsi host, but I'm at a lost on how to access
the drive as a scsi device for cdrecord.

Any pointers to documentation, howtos, etc, appreciated.
I have read the cdrecord docs, didn't help, and the CD-Writer
howtos, and it just doesn't seem to tell me what I need to know.

Post by Thomas Zaji » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> My thanks to those who pointed me to the ISO image to burn my own
> RedHat 5.2 CD.  Worked fine to burn the CD under WIndows.
> My reason to install 5.2 was to upgrade my Linux
> system to be able to burn CDs without using Windows.
> Apparantly it requires the newer kernel that supports
> the ide-scsi translation.
> Well I can't get it to work.  I recompiled a new kernel
> with ide-scsi support and booted it, and it appears
> to see 1 scsi host, but I'm at a lost on how to access
> the drive as a scsi device for cdrecord.
> Any pointers to documentation, howtos, etc, appreciated.
> I have read the cdrecord docs, didn't help, and the CD-Writer
> howtos, and it just doesn't seem to tell me what I need to know.

Read my reply to the "NEWBIE: HP CD-Writer 8100i problem" article.

Basically, you disable ATAPI CD-ROM, enable ATAPI-SCSI emulation,
SCSI CD-ROM and SCSI generic, recompile and install your kernel,
fix your /etc/fstab and some symlinks in /dev, and thats it. Easy,
no? ;-)

HTH,
Thomas
--
-        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        -