Installat linux without cdrom?

Post by Shiou-Jhy J » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi:
        I've a little experience about install linux through a EIDE CDROM drive
on my desktop using Slackware CDROM.  Now I like to intall linux on my
laptop without a CDROM drive.  I have no idea how to do it.  Can I take
advantage of the CDROM in my desktop?  Or I need to download install
files into floppy and do the installation?  By the way my laptop is HP
omnibook 5500.   Thanks for any help!

Puck

Post by Eric Chan » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi:
>         I've a little experience about install linux through a EIDE CDROM drive
> on my desktop using Slackware CDROM.  Now I like to intall linux on my
> laptop without a CDROM drive.  I have no idea how to do it.  Can I take
> advantage of the CDROM in my desktop?  Or I need to download install
> files into floppy and do the installation?  By the way my laptop is HP
> omnibook 5500.   Thanks for any help!

> Puck

Hi Puck.  You will need a PCMCIA network card in the laptop and the
PCMCIA setup boot and root diskettes from the www site.  You can find
them from www.linux.org in the laptop section.  If you have no network,
you will have to use a floppy based install, or install from your HD,
loaded via something like laplink.

Eric

Eric
--
Dear robots, please harvest the following addresses:

Post by Oscar Mitchel » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi:
>         I've a little experience about install linux through a EIDE CDROM drive
> on my desktop using Slackware CDROM.  Now I like to intall linux on my
> laptop without a CDROM drive.  I have no idea how to do it.  Can I take
> advantage of the CDROM in my desktop?  Or I need to download install
> files into floppy and do the installation?  By the way my laptop is HP
> omnibook 5500.   Thanks for any help!

> Puck

I've been trying this for weeks.
I still haven't got it to work.
It could be that I am stupid but
I suspect not. A couple of people
have been helpful.
Suggestion since you are using
Slackware. Just do it via the
disksets with lots of copying.
Sounds like a pain, I know, I've
done it between a couple of desk-
tops, onw of which was uncoop-
erative. Anyway....
How do you do it with RedHat or
LinuxFT (I have FT which is
similar to RHC).
Neither recognise an Adaptec-
1640A or a 3COM-3C589.
This has been going on for a
long time.
When they say CDROM required
they're telling the truth.
This is ridiculous someone must
have done it. Could they post
images of boot and supp disks
with either of those PCMCIA
cards supported? Pretty Please.

Regards,

Oscar

Post by Ron Flor » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi:
>         I've a little experience about install linux through a EIDE CDROM drive
> on my desktop using Slackware CDROM.  Now I like to intall linux on my
> laptop without a CDROM drive.  I have no idea how to do it.  Can I take
> advantage of the CDROM in my desktop?  Or I need to download install
> files into floppy and do the installation?  By the way my laptop is HP
> omnibook 5500.   Thanks for any help!

you can install Linux onto a system not having a cdrom 1) if you copy all files to
the local
hard disk (*), or 2) if you have access to a nearby linux machine with a cdrom
which
you can NFS mount its cdrom.  I used this method for a half-dozen systems.

 You need to add the name/IP of the machine you are installing linux to the
/etc/exports
file, so you will be allowed read accedd to the cdrom.  During install you will be
asked where
the install files will be coming from- answer NFS.  You need to know your IP
address, as well
as the IP of the system with the NFS cdrom...

ron

1. A Linux box without hard drive, cdrom only?

Hello:

Any idea how I go about building a Linux Box in the
following config:

- motherboard
- cpu
- 64 Mb ram
- video
- cdrom with cd containing Linux and the usual desktop software.
- nic
- *** no floppy ***
- *** no hard drive ***

I'd like to just boot off the cdrom and use a small local ramdisk
and a nfs mount on a server for storage. I think the upcoming
Oracle NC is like this. So how do I config such a bootable CD.

Thanks
Stephen

2. StarOffice vs WordPerfect and Xwindow Questions

3. upgrading linux without floppy, cdrom

4. Strange behaviour at bootup

5. Install linux on VAIO PCG-C1XN without a CDROM?

6. Why TIME_WAIT after shutdown(Socket,2)?

7. install Linux on PC without CDROM

8. Basics: RPM Package Names

9. install linux without CDROM or floppy?????

10. Install Linux without CDROM burner ( use iso files)

11. Install Linux on thinkpad 560x without cdrom

12. setting up linux without cdrom?

13. Slack 1.1.2 BIIG installat. problems