Thinkpad Network Woes - Pls help a stoopid newbie! :)

Thinkpad Network Woes - Pls help a stoopid newbie! :)

Post by » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hullo!  Firstoff, I swear I can work 9x/NT/MacOS computers...  And I'm
trying my durnest to give Linux a go!

I've installed Redhat 6.1 no problemo.  Everything is cool, except I cant
for the life of me get it to see my PCMCIA (IBM Etherjet 10Mbit) Ethernet
card.  I suspect its something mind-numbingly simple like "download a driver
thingy and install it" because I get the cardmgr message "unsupported card"
or "unknown card" or something like that.

At first, it seemed to be running the network services before the PCMCIA
services, which seemed bad, so I dug out how to reverse them, by renumbering
the files in the /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ directories...  That *seemed* to solve the
first problem, but I still cant see the card - well, ok I can see it, but
not (mount?) it.

Any advice would be very very appreciated....  blah blah I usually know what
I'm doing blah blah trying to learn Linux help help!

FWIW - I'm plugging it into my LAN, which uses DHCP (found that part), and a
Win98 box (ugh) to run NAT for my ADSL connect.  I'd like to replace Win98
with linux once i get a clue.  Oh yeah, I also tried using the crystal
cs8x00 driver thingy in linuxconf and it didnt seem to do much...

I hope i've given enough info to be useful - if you could copy your reply to
my via email it would help as ive just joined these NGs...  zillions of
thanks!

Thinkpad Network Woes - Pls help a stoopid newbie! :)

Post by no.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I've installed Redhat 6.1 no problemo.  Everything is cool, except I cant
> for the life of me get it to see my PCMCIA (IBM Etherjet 10Mbit) Ethernet
> card.  I suspect its something mind-numbingly simple like "download a driver
> thingy and install it" because I get the cardmgr message "unsupported card"
> or "unknown card" or something like that.

I got one of those with my Thinkpad too.  The driver is not included
with the standard cs distribution.   The one you want is the cs89x0_cs
driver and it should be in the ./contrib dir at Stanford or one of the
mirrors.   You will have to get and patch the src to add this driver,
but you can upgrade in the process.  The latest version is 3.1.1 I
think.

Quote:

> At first, it seemed to be running the network services before the PCMCIA
> services, which seemed bad, so I dug out how to reverse them, by renumbering
> the files in the /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ directories...  That *seemed* to solve the
> first problem, but I still cant see the card - well, ok I can see it, but
> not (mount?) it.

This is the way I usually do it as well.

> I hope i've given enough info to be useful - if you could copy your reply to
> my via email it would help as ive just joined these NGs...  zillions of
> thanks!

?

HTH,
rick