PPP & Domain Names

Post by Gene E. Hect » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a question on setting up a web server; I hope someone can help.

I am arranging for a full Class C set of
addresses & will be starting small using
PPP & a standard 28.8K telephone line. I have an ISP that will do this.

I want to provide static IP addresses for my users & a regular URL,
rather than use the /~username. For instance, if the user's domain name
is xyz.com, I would like to have Internet travellers get to his/her page
by typing http://www.xyz.com & not http://www.xyz.com/~username.
The rub is that all users (for now) will be on my web server. Obviously,
if I provided each user with his own platform & IP address, the solution
would be trivial.

If someone has a solution or idea that could point me in the right
direction, I will be grateful.

An email response would be greatly appreciated.

--
Gene E. Hector, S.E.            | Novell CNE, CNI & UNIX Instructor

PPP & Domain Names

Post by Al Longye » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a question on setting up a web server; I hope someone can help.
>I am arranging for a full Class C set of
>addresses & will be starting small using
>PPP & a standard 28.8K telephone line. I have an ISP that will do this.
>I want to provide static IP addresses for my users & a regular URL,
>rather than use the /~username. For instance, if the user's domain name
>is xyz.com, I would like to have Internet travellers get to his/her page
>by typing http://www.xyz.com & not http://www.xyz.com/~username.

You will need to register the 'xyz.com' domain with the InterNIC. (They have
started charging a fee for this -- $100 for 2 yrs and then $50/yr after that.)

You need to list your nameserver as the nameserver responsible for the forward
name and in_addr translations. (That is two separate requests -- two separate
forms -- one fee.)

Then, in your nameserver, create an address record (type "A", class "IN")
which translates the name 'www.xyz.com' to one of your IP addresses from your
class-C network.

Then you need to generate the routes so that references to these IP addresses
will go to the system which houses the http server if it does not do this
already.

Then your http server needs to recognize that requests which come in to it
for the IP address associated with www.xyz.com will fetch the proper homepage.
The Apache server will do this for you nicely. It is available on
http://www.apache.org.

The steps are not that complicated. The only one which will really take some
time is the first one. That is only because the InterNIC is so backed up with
requests that it will take a few weeks to have your request processed.

Quote:>The rub is that all users (for now) will be on my web server. Obviously,
>if I provided each user with his own platform & IP address, the solution
>would be trivial.

Just use multiple IP addresses for your single ethernet (or PPP) link. Use
the dummy device driver to associate them to your system.

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

1. PPP & Domain Names

[...]

2. Error with netscape after Fix installed on AIX 4.3.2

3. SQUID & PPP: Name Server for domain ... is unavailable.

4. Winlinux Missing File

5. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

6. Semi-missing file

7. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

8. Give more access to other users

9. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

10. Server Domain name & Host name

11. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

13. Apache 1.2.1 & virtual domains & real domain