Compiling Kernel breaks LILO?!

Post by Daniel Cade Bigl » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I'm quite sure all you kernel gurus are quite tired of idiots like me
always asking about kernels... but I'm at the end of my rope, so I'll
ask my question too.  I compiled a kernel tonight, following the FAQ
and a good book.  I did the make mrproper, make config, make dep,
make clean, and finally, make zImage.  Once made (with no problems)
I copied it to /vmlinuz (after backing it up, of course).  Fine so
far.  Next I read I needed to reconfigure LILO (why I don't know).
So, I run liloconfig and install a new header and the two boot
options.  Cool.  Now I reboot and all I get is:

LIL-

What gives?  What did I do wrong (so I won't do it again) and how
the hell do I fix it?  I don't want to boot off of floppy!  And I really
don't want to reinstall from scratch.  Can this be fixed?!  Please,
someone, hold my hand and "learn" me.  Any and all help is very
much appreciated.  I think I'll go to bed now and sleep on it....

Tyson

--

#       \|/           | can dress-up a turd anyway you  #

#---oOOO-'-OOOo-----------------------------------------#

Compiling Kernel breaks LILO?!

Post by Daniel Cade Bigl » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

never mind--I'm really a dumb ass.  I'm so used to using OS/2's boot
manager that I tried to write LILO to the superblock of the linux
disk (/dev/hdb2) when in fact I no longer have OS/2's boot manager
installed.  So, in my brillance, I re-ran liloconfig and wrote
it to the MBR.  Presto.  I r smart.

Tyson

--

Post by Juergen Exn » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

   I'm quite sure all you kernel gurus are quite tired of idiots like me
   always asking about kernels... but I'm at the end of my rope, so I'll
   ask my question too.  I compiled a kernel tonight, following the FAQ
   and a good book.  I did the make mrproper, make config, make dep,
   make clean, and finally, make zImage.  Once made (with no problems)
   I copied it to /vmlinuz (after backing it up, of course).  Fine so
   far.  Next I read I needed to reconfigure LILO (why I don't know).

"reconfigure LILO" means to tell the bootloader in the MBR where to
find the new kernel (by absolut adress, not by name).
This will be done by executing the program "lilo".
Beforehand you may wish edit /etc/lilo.config according to the new
kernel. Running the program "lilo" installs a new bootloader in the
MBR.

   So, I run liloconfig and install a new header and the two boot
   options.  Cool.  Now I reboot and all I get is:
                  ^

At this place you forgot to rerun lilo

   What gives?  What did I do wrong (so I won't do it again) and how
   the hell do I fix it?  I don't want to boot off of floppy!  And I really
   don't want to reinstall from scratch.  Can this be fixed?!  Please,

No reason to take a rope :-). You have to boot from floppy once, then
execute "lilo" (as root) an everything will be fine again.

Greetings jue

snail-mail: TU Berlin; Sekr. FR 5-13; Franklinstr. 28-29; 10587 Berlin
=-=-=-=-= "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that"  HAL 2000  =-=-=-=-=-=

1. Kernel 2.4.8 - EMU10K1 - Kernel Compile Breaks in Module main.o

Problem:
Kernel compilation breaks with message
main.o(.modinfo+0x40): multiple definition of `__module_author'

Problem fix:
Delete the /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1 tree and copy the tree of
kernel 2.4.7 into 2.4.8. Then it works.

Error Correction:
Please, review the changes made to emu10k1 by Robert Love announced in
Changelog-2.4.8 under "final:"

Configuration file used for kernel compilation:
see attached text file "config.emu10k".
The contents of the config file has not changed since kernel 2.4.5 and worked
for 2.4.6 and 2.4.7.

Error log (make modules):
see attached text file "module_emu10k.txt"

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter.

Regards

-

2. Avoiding bad motherboards and chipsets

3. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

4. Writing binary data to file using shell script

5. linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO

6. TYAN Trident III and shutdown -r ??

7. LILO: "vga=9" in lilo.conf broken?

8. Mounting SCSI Zip disk in x86 2.6

9. Kernel compile breaks here... Help please

10. Kernel compile broken for Jensen in 2.4

11. "ps" broken after kernel compile

12. eth0 is BROKEN after a kernel compile.

13. RH5.2 / Upgrading compiler w/o breaking kernel compile