How do I get x windows to run?

Post by JPTrespa » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Iam new to linux and I need some help. Yesterday I bought the suse edition of
Linux, I installed everything and then ran the sax setup program. At the prompt
I typed startx and a black and white screen appears, the only thing I can do is
left click and get a list of choices like exit, zoom in, zoom out, and a few
others. How can I get my desktop to look like what other people have of like
whats on the back of the box. I would be greatful if anyone could help me out.
Thanks.

How do I get x windows to run?

Post by Michel Catuda » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Iam new to linux and I need some help. Yesterday I bought the suse edition of
> Linux, I installed everything and then ran the sax setup program. At the prompt
> I typed startx and a black and white screen appears, the only thing I can do is
> left click and get a list of choices like exit, zoom in, zoom out, and a few
> others. How can I get my desktop to look like what other people have of like
> whats on the back of the box. I would be greatful if anyone could help me out.
> Thanks.

In the sax setup program it ask you if you want to save the
setup and you must say yes. When asked if you want to boot
in graphic next time you say no.
During install make sure you choose a graphic card (SVGA is a good one)
and a mouse. It looks to me like you didn't run the whole setup.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

1. Getting doscmd to run DOS commands

How much preparation is required to get doscmd to run simple DOS programs
on a fresh FreeBSD 4.5 installation?

At present I have copied the DOS program I wish to run into my home
directory, and created a .doscmdrc file with just two lines:

        assign C: /home/michael
        PATH=C:\

However I try to run doscmd I get the response "command not found", eg:

        DERIVE: command not found

        DERIVE.EXE

        assign C: /home/michael
        PATH=C:\

        /home/michael

(and, yes, I've tried all the various combinations of case and including or
not including the file extension, etc;  I haven't found anything that makes
any difference.)

Can someone point me to a guide for getting started?  The only
documentation I've found is man 1 doscmd.  This contains detailed
instructions on installing a DOS pseudo hard disk, but I'm presuming I
don't need to do this to run a single simple DOS program?

cc to michael.g.abbott (at) ntlworld.com if you care to; thanks.

2. Good programming tools for linux?

3. Linking two PCs running either DOS/Linux/Window/X

4. Tekram & DC-390U2W ... Any good?

5. DOSEMUL -- Running Windows in the DOS box

6. sgtty.h

7. Running Windows/Dos programs in Linux(SuSE)

8. mksysb on DVD RAMs with AIX 4.3.3.0.8 for a 7026-H80

9. It can be done: Running Linux from within Windows

10. Linking two PCs running either DOS/Linux/Window/X

11. Can I run DOS/Windows from Linux?

12. NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95