Probelm with compiling Madrake 8.0 kernel

Probelm with compiling Madrake 8.0 kernel

Post by Nikol » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:12:44

I have _a_ problem with compiling Mandrake's 8.0 kernel, I don't know why.

It always crash on make dep, somewhere on block devices. I tryed with
different settings, but I always get the same.

Even if I don't change anythig on make menuconfig, I always get same error.

Also, my friend have simular problem, with Red Hat 7.1 distribution.

Can somebody help me with my problem?

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:04:00

> I have _a_ problem with compiling Mandrake's 8.0 kernel, I don't know why.

> It always crash on make dep, somewhere on block devices. I tryed with
> different settings, but I always get the same.

> Even if I don't change anythig on make menuconfig, I always get same error.

> Also, my friend have simular problem, with Red Hat 7.1 distribution.

> Can somebody help me with my problem?

Not untill you atleast post the error messages you get
(you did make mrproper , make xconfig , make dep ?)

Post by Craig Kelle » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:09:48

> I have _a_ problem with compiling Mandrake's 8.0 kernel, I don't know why.

> It always crash on make dep, somewhere on block devices. I tryed with
> different settings, but I always get the same.

> Even if I don't change anythig on make menuconfig, I always get same error.

> Also, my friend have simular problem, with Red Hat 7.1 distribution.

> Can somebody help me with my problem?

There are bugs which prevent recent kernels from compiling if you
include NTFS support (2.4.9) or the buz drivers (iirc, <= 2.4.5).
Just deselect those modules and you should be fine, or grab the latest
-ac- patch and use it instead.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

Probelm with compiling Madrake 8.0 kernel

Post by Petr Klyushki » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:16:10

Hello, "Nikola"!

Quote:>>>>> "Nikola" == Nikola  writes:

 Nikola> I have _a_ problem with compiling Mandrake's 8.0 kernel, I
 Nikola> don't know why.  It always crash on make dep, somewhere on
 Nikola> block devices. I tryed with different settings, but I always
 Nikola> get the same.

 Nikola> Even if I don't change anythig on make menuconfig, I always
 Nikola> get same error.

 Nikola> Also, my friend have simular problem, with Red Hat 7.1
 Nikola> distribution.

 Nikola> Can somebody help me with my problem?

Probably, problem is in gcc shipped with these distro's. It is beta
version and kernel will not compile with it. To do what you want you
should use gcc from 'kgcc' package.

--
                                                             C'ya, Peter.

1. Madrake 8.0 and Nvidia openGL

Hadn't read the article myself, but it is supposed to be a newbie guide to
getting this setup to work...  See lots of posts about this subject and
thought this might help...

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00022.asp

--
KW

2. Help: Linux for network control?

3. problems with xserver/madrake 8.0

4. rsync and fsmlabs

5. compiled kernel with gcc-2.8.0 and X11 wont work

6. Buzzing Monitor??

7. Probelm on compiling gtar..

8. file_operations structure - has initializer but incomplete type

9. Yet another kdelibs compile probelm

10. Help! Probelms w/new kernel booting :(

11. Probelm with kernel

12. Probelm after Kernel recompile

13. Could you recommend a modem for Madrake 9.0