Lilo won't write to mbr!

Post by dant » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:34:36

After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

Point A:
1) I used partition magic pro 7 to partition off a little portion of
my windows 98 drive for linux and half meg for swap.

2) Installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o a hitch in "regular" mode.  Couldn't get
linux booting at all.  Just windows.

3) Re-installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o hitch in "expert" mode.  Found myself
with a boot floppy now.  Opted to install lilo in /hdb5 (my linux
partition).

4) Installed boot magic.  Strangely, it sees my linux partition now
w/o having to go into detailed mode.  Is this because I installed lilo
on my linux partition?

5) Rebooted and selected linux from boot magic menu.  Got a screen
scrolling with 1's and 0's non-stop.

6) Disabled boot magic.  Booted mandrake from boot disk.

   Changed boot=/dev/hda in /etc/lilo.conf

   Confirmed that lba32 was there.

   ran /sbin/lilo -v and confirmed no errors.

7) Rebooted.. and found myself directly back to windows.

8) Repeated above disabling virus checking in bios with same results.

Point B:  Where I am now.  Can anyone help me get my dual boot
windows/linux box going?  Booting from floppy can be a pain but I'm
happy to report that I haven't clobbered anything yet.

Once this install is ironed out, I'll take the plunge and try to
install on my inspiron 8100 with radeon 7500 and uxga monitor.

Dante

Lilo won't write to mbr!

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:56:14

> After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
> windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
> Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

Post your /etc/lilo.conf file content.

Lilo won't write to mbr!

Post by johninsd at san dot rr dot co » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:53:55

>> After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
>> windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
>> Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

>Post your /etc/lilo.conf file content.

The output from "lilo -v3" (better, "-v5") is also useful.

Lilo won't write to mbr!

Post by Jan Outhui » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:28:43

use cfdisk to check which partition is the boot partition (the one with
the * behind it); change that to let the linux partition be the active one.

Alternatively you can add an option 'default=linux' to your
/etc/lilo.conf. (mind you: adapt the 'linux' word to the name of your
linux-image, i.e. the label name).

Success
Jan Outhuis

> After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
> windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
> Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

> Point A:
> 1) I used partition magic pro 7 to partition off a little portion of
> my windows 98 drive for linux and half meg for swap.

> 2) Installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o a hitch in "regular" mode.  Couldn't get
> linux booting at all.  Just windows.

> 3) Re-installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o hitch in "expert" mode.  Found myself
> with a boot floppy now.  Opted to install lilo in /hdb5 (my linux
> partition).

> 4) Installed boot magic.  Strangely, it sees my linux partition now
> w/o having to go into detailed mode.  Is this because I installed lilo
> on my linux partition?

> 5) Rebooted and selected linux from boot magic menu.  Got a screen
> scrolling with 1's and 0's non-stop.

> 6) Disabled boot magic.  Booted mandrake from boot disk.

>    Changed boot=/dev/hda in /etc/lilo.conf

>    Confirmed that lba32 was there.

>    ran /sbin/lilo -v and confirmed no errors.

> 7) Rebooted.. and found myself directly back to windows.

> 8) Repeated above disabling virus checking in bios with same results.

> Point B:  Where I am now.  Can anyone help me get my dual boot
> windows/linux box going?  Booting from floppy can be a pain but I'm
> happy to report that I haven't clobbered anything yet.

> Once this install is ironed out, I'll take the plunge and try to
> install on my inspiron 8100 with radeon 7500 and uxga monitor.

> Dante

1. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

Hi, all,

I am new to linux. I tried to change my Windows NT machine into a dual
boot system. At the beginning, according to Red Hat 7.2 intallation
guide, I installed LILO at the first boot partition, but I couldn't
use hard disk to boot linux, every time it was NT started up. So I
reinstalled and wrote LILO to MBR, and found I caused a disaster. Now
there is no means I can find my NT! And, every time after reboot, it
says "LIL-", and no key could be typed in afterwards. So I only could
use "Ctrl-Del-Alt" to restart linux using floppy. I don't have a NT
startup floppy =(

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem? Especially, how to
get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

Kelly

2. Webserver performance

3. Lilo won't load os/2, os/2 won't load lilo

4. Timestamps

5. lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

6. Shell Programming Book

7. LILO won't occupy MBR

8. Turn off CDE screen blank 9-5 M-F (

9. System won't boot without floppy, even with lilo installed in MBR

10. LILO, won't install on MBR

11. LILO won't give me back my origional MBR, please help!!!

12. 'write' won't write; exits immediately.

13. LILO Won't write a boot sector on HD!