After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed. No
Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.
1) I used partition magic pro 7 to partition off a little portion of
my windows 98 drive for linux and half meg for swap.
2) Installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o a hitch in "regular" mode. Couldn't get
linux booting at all. Just windows.
3) Re-installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o hitch in "expert" mode. Found myself
with a boot floppy now. Opted to install lilo in /hdb5 (my linux
4) Installed boot magic. Strangely, it sees my linux partition now
w/o having to go into detailed mode. Is this because I installed lilo
on my linux partition?
5) Rebooted and selected linux from boot magic menu. Got a screen
scrolling with 1's and 0's non-stop.
6) Disabled boot magic. Booted mandrake from boot disk.
Changed boot=/dev/hda in /etc/lilo.conf
Confirmed that lba32 was there.
ran /sbin/lilo -v and confirmed no errors.
7) Rebooted.. and found myself directly back to windows.
8) Repeated above disabling virus checking in bios with same results.
Point B: Where I am now. Can anyone help me get my dual boot
windows/linux box going? Booting from floppy can be a pain but I'm
happy to report that I haven't clobbered anything yet.
Once this install is ironed out, I'll take the plunge and try to
install on my inspiron 8100 with radeon 7500 and uxga monitor.